96 454 7.4 timming chain

Wizard13

Recruit
Im getting ready to replace a timming chain in my merc 454. can I use a standard tuck chain and gears?
Quicksilver wants a fortune for them.
also is a double roller a better option?

Thanks for any input!

alldodge

Staff member
Im getting ready to replace a timming chain in my merc 454. can I use a standard tuck chain and gears?
Quicksilver wants a fortune for them.
also is a double roller a better option?

Thanks for any input!

So far as chain and gears the GM truck/car is the same as Merc. As for double roller, I wouldn't do it unless your going to build some big power and even then I might not do it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the comp cams 7101 double roller timing chain cover clears the Gen VI housing without a problem and has needle thrust bearing for the cam surface.

and it has 8 positions for setting timing depending on the cam grind you want to run

I would also drill a 0.030" orifice hole on the cam bearing galley plug to act as a squirter on the back of your timing chain. this will keep the timing set lasting longer than the rest of the motor

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Standard production GM parts is all ya really need,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the only problem with stock is they are almost more expensive than the better timing sets. so for a few $ more you get a double roller chain

Wizard13

Recruit
Thanks for the info! I havent decided on double or origional, as i usually cruise low speeds I will probably go single.