Johnson Sea Horse td 20 5.5 hp, serial # 677986

ceugene

Cadet
I have a Johnson sea horse motor td 20, it's serial # 677986, the family I got it from said it's a 5.5 hp. I would like to find out the year it was build, so I can have it for my records also, I would like to know where I could get a carburetor rebuild kit and a new water pump for this. Can anyone help with this information?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The TD-20 was built from 1946 to 1949.-------You may find that it has a " wobbler " type pump in front of the propeller and it is quite durable.----------------Try searching for parts here-----aomci------website.-------Lots of grey haired expertise there.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
These numbers 614,515 thru 698,874 are 1948. Some numbers may have been applied in late 47.
It appears that the later Gale 5 and E/J 5.5 may be based loosely on the TD power head with the same Bore and stroke.
1 15/16 X 1 1/2".

I do wonder if the Piston and rods may be refined versions of the TD components. The 8.84 cubes for all 3 just seems too coincidental.
I do know that some internal clearances are shared between the Gale and OMC machines.
I know the TN series shares Mags Not sure about how many TDs.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It is 5hp., not 5.5hp It is totally different than any Gale, except for the magneto. That said, there is no such thing as a carburetor kit, except possibly a kit put together by one of the aomci hobbyists. A guy named Lloyd at the aomci Ask-A-Member website www.aomci.org makes some carburetor parts. Brian Wilcox makes water pump impellers (properly called a "rotor"). [FONT=&quot]email Baron0418@att.net. please note the b must be a capital. [/FONT]

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I have a copy of the Johnson Motors General Instructions manual good for the TD,TS,TSL,TDL
Suitable for reference not display. If you want a manual PM me your address.