1955 Evinrude 7.5 shock absorber question

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This Evinrude 7.5 was not making full power. I took it apart to re-seal the gear case. I found the shock absorber assembly binding with the water pump-bearing casting. The propeller turns very hard unless I back off the 4 screws securing the water pump casting. I do not see any problems with the shock assembly. There was a hardened washer on the bottom of the shock absorber that I do not see listed in the parts schematic. What am I missing? Thanks for any advice.

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The edge of the bearing casting is burred over from the close tolerances.

Attachments

• photo213620.jpg
    photo213620.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0

kbait

Commander
Search 'shock absorber' and you'll find lots of info. Last time I replaced one, I didn't notice that the bearing carrier above it was bent, and gearcase wouldn't seal. I tried to bang it all flat, but no success. Ended up getting a good used one and then it sealed fine. Top secret file at the top of this forum will have a link to salvage yards, and tim's outboard is the one I use. Very knowledgeable folks, quick ship, good prices 218-682-2331.

Good luck!

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone tried shimming the water pump casting for proper clearance? Seems like about. .010 is all it takes to free things up, but will it stay that way?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As stated this is a common problem.-------And , no shimming the bearing housing is just not the way to fix this.---------Pushing the shock absorber to shorten it and tack welding the joint is one repair method.-------Have to use brass shearpin if that method is chosen.-------Or of course a good used replacement shock absorber is also an option.

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I will look for a used one, or tack weld. Already using brass shear pin. Thanks for the info.

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I opened up the gear case,and removed the shock absorber , and it measures more than 6.75, so it is bad. I will try to find a good one, if not I will weld this one. Thanks for the help, I learned sometime new.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
As Racerone said, push it back together and weld it. I used to do this all the time.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you got access to a shop with a good press and a welder it's real easy.