Johnson 85esl74b 85hp Thermostat broken, overheating. BUT thermo cover stuck, bad.

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My engine hasn't been pumping water correctly. Impeller works fine (just installed a new one), and it is definitely a thermo problem- actually this engine model uses a Vernatherm valve. Thing is, there is NO way the thermo housing is coming off, and no access to the verma element or valve. Its bolts are corroded to the point that they might as well be welded on, I can't get a straight shot with a drill to drill them out, and the heads are dissolved to the point where there is surface left for a wrench to get traction. I considered taking a cut-off wheel to it, but I can't risk destroying the thermo cover or housing since, evidently, it was the only one of its kind ever made, and was created specifically for the motor in my yard and none were manufactured before or since. Anyway...

http://www.*****************/parts/jo...xhaust+Housing

I live in a warm area where a thermostat isn't critical and have decided the best (and possibly only) course of action is to find a way to disable the Vernatherm, notably its valve. This may sound crazy, but I'm considering drilling into the side of the cover (number 45), and try to chew through the valve (number 54) to allow free water flow, then sealing it up with some jb weld.

Any alternatives? One small part and the two bolts holding it in are the only things keeping me off the water- at the end of my rope.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You really need to run this engine with a vernatherm, for long-term performance and durability. There are a number of US based Bombardier dealers that still have new stock on the vernatherm cover, part # 385832. You can contact your local Bombardier dealer to find the one closest to you that has one in stock. For instance, this dealer listed below has one pc. You could grind the heads of the bolts off, then try to twist them off with a set of vice-grips. Also, there have to be many of these covers laying around (used) in marine salvage yards throughout the states.
US BOATWORKS INC930 OSAGE AVEKANSAS CITYKS661051850913-342-0011usbw1@cs.com0385832

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe it's just time to get the grinder out. I would also prefer to do it the right way, of course, just wan't sure if I'd be able to get her back together. I'm feeling lucky- I'll figure it out. Thank you for the advise.