1998 Johnson 150 no spark

tendollar

Seaman
Need a little help. My 150 ELECD just decided to give me trouble. 3 weeks ago i noticed my tach started acting up randomly reading at 5900 - 6000 rpm and then would settle down to the NOR. Also the quick start would on occasion take up too 10 min. to kick down on a cold motor and sometimes even on a warm motor but the motor fired right up and ran like a top. Last week i went to launch and she would crank but not fire. I have charged my battery, checked spark gap and have zero spark on all cylinders. Next i checked the STOP CIRCUIT and still no spark on all cylinders. It wants me to check the TIMING SENSOR, I do not own an OMC ignition analyzer so my question is, Is there some other way to check this?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps you can check the other components and isolate the issue. First inspect the motor wiring harness.. I have the same motor, and in a couple of places the harness melted and some wires shorted. Not sure why, but my ign accessory circuit was melted to ground. Perhaps your ign killer wire (black/yellow) got grounded.

Next disconnect the shift assist switch. There is a blocking diode in the circuit. If that shorted and the switch malfunctioned, it would kill your spark.

Other than that, you can extrapolate some of the voltage readings using a multimeter. It should narrow the field.