Water pump mess - please help

Djknyork

Recruit
I've got a new to me 1985 30hp that I was attempting to change the water pump on (very weak stream) and while fidling trying to get the keeper off the upper shift rod end the lower unit slid off the drive shaft. I was told on another site that now I may not be able to get the drive shaft to align with pinion gear in the lower unit/gear case.

With that said is it possible to re-insert the drive shaft and expect success with it aligning with the pinion possibly by rotating both the shaft and propellor? If so, how do you tell its aligned (I assume by rotating the drive shaft and watching for the prop to also rotate)? Should it click? How would you guys do it? I was thinking of painting the splines with die blue and then inserting it and seeing where or how the splines are meshing with the pinion, if I can even get them to mesh at all.

Is there a chance I can do this without tearing apart the gearcase?

Thanks in advance for you help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't make it so complicated. In the first place, what you have heard is BS. The shaft should slide right in with no problem. Rotate it as you do to give the splines a chance to align. And once it is in, it is in. You can feel it go, and you can see the impeller drive key down in the area it belongs at, and the prop will turn as you rotate it (assuming it is in gear).

Djknyork

Recruit
Thanks F_R... I never thought of using the water pump impellor key as a "depth" gauge to help ensure the drive shaft is fully inserted into the lower unit. Once I get the shaft in should I depress or pull up on the lower shift rod linkage and rotate the shaft/propellor in the corrensonding direction to ensure it seated?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If it is in, it is seated. It isn't rocket science.

Djknyork

Recruit
Thank you again sir... I'm going to try to get it seated this evening and hope to report it went back in no problem.

Djknyork

Recruit
Impeller key way appears to be in the right spot but I know I disconnected the shift linkage in neutral so I couldn't get both shafts to turn when rotating one or the other. I plan to replace drive shaft seals next (did the prop shaft seals tonight because it was leaking gear oil bad) and then the water pump kit. Would make me sleep easier seeing both of the shafts rotate when turning one of them.