Please help I'm going crazy!

AmberBock

Recruit
I finally got the chance to take my 1966 Johnson 40hp elec start Sea Horse for a run. I imagine that this is the first time it ran in years. Got on the water at 8 am she started right up and took off under full power. Through out the morning I stop and started her maybe 10-15 times. Drove her for 30 min to 45 min rounds around the lake. Ran beautifully. Smooth, full power and quiet. At 12 noon went to start her and she wouldn't turn over. She cracked but just wouldn't turn over. I am at a loss. When we got home I checked for spark....got spark, checked for fuel....got fuel. Sprayed carb clean in carb....wouldn't turn over. Sprayed gas in plugs and reconnected.....wouldn't turn over. Can some one help me? Again she ran great the entire morning. I'm lost please help!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
By turn over, I assume you mean the starter cranks the engine, but it won't fire and run....right? Check the ignition. Especially if somebody has been there before. Might have sheared the flywheel key because of improper installation. If not that, I suspect bad coils. They do that with age.

Robert Ellis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been fooling with a few of those motors. There is spark and then there is SPARK!!!
You really want the latter. Did you test with a spark tester or just use the plugs? You don't say anything about compression ... might be worth checking.

Robert Ellis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
oh .... be a little careful with the carb cleaner - your carb has a varnished float - you can guess what carb cleaner will do to that!

AmberBock

Recruit
hey Robert, brand new plugs, engine ran fine for 4 hrs with no problems. I just can't understand it!

Robert Ellis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yep, I understand about it running good for those hours (they're terrific motors when they're running great, aren't they) but, things work well till they don't ... if you know what I mean. I'd listen to F_R - he's been a huge help to me!
Again though, I'd check her compression, if that's good, pretty much all else is fixable.