outboard motor prices

fishermama

Recruit
I need some help. I would like to puchase a new outboard motor. I want one that will be good on lakes for recreational fishing. Nothing fancy, and nothing big or powerful, just something for cruising the fishing holes and lakes.<br />What kind of price would I expect to pay for a new motor of this kind? Maybe a Johnson or Evinrude or Mercury.<br />Also, I need someone to show me how to run the thing.<br />Only kidding.<br />Fran

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: outboard motor prices

What sort of boat do you want to put it on, Fran? Two hp to 200 hp motors are suitable for many lakes but for very different boats. I would be a little shy of Johnson and Evinrude motors right now, because of OMC's recent bankruptcy and acquisition by Bombardier. They are good motors, but their future may be in doubt. I personally (and this may simply be a prejudice) am shy of Mercurys because the dealers I have talked to are reluctant to provide specs and comparison data. I get the feeling that they don't want their motors compared to others. That leaves Yamaha, Honda, Tohatsu, Nissan, etc. . . all good motors with good track records, but some people are shy of imports. The choice will get easier when you have decided on a power range. Four stroke engines are smoother, quieter, more economical and cleaner than two strokes. They are also usually heavier and more expensive. Tell us what you want to do with it and you will be deluged with expert advice.<br />Happy Boating!<br />JB
smile.gif

fishermama

Recruit

I need a motor for a 14 foot aluminum fishing boat. One that will get me across a lake, not real fast, but just a plain run of the mill motor. I fish a lot of lakes and maybe sometimes a river, but I don't go to large rivers like the Mississippi.<br />I'd like to have a motor that is dependable and easy to start. <br />Thanks for replying.<br />Fran

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Fran. Sounds like you will be hand carrying it a lot, so I think you have two range choices, depending on portability and convenience. Very light motors in the range of 30 to 40 lb are 2 to 4hp and seem to run all day on a quart of fuel. They are 2 strokes, can be a little balky at times and don't usually have gearshifts. One exception is the Johnson 4, which has Forward and Neutral, a VERY convenient feature. It is also a 2 cylinder, which makes it smoother than the single cylinder models. I weighs only 36 pounds. Yamaha also has a gearshift 4, but it is a single. Expect to pay $600 to $800.<br /><br />Moving up a step are the 5-8hp motors. They typically weigh 45 to 70lb in 2 stroke models and 65 to 90lb in four strokes. They typically have F-N-R shifting, very handy for close maneuvering and stopping for a few moments without having to restart the motor. The four strokes are smoother, quieter, cleaner, heavier and more expensive. This is the range I would buy for carrying in my truck or trunk and putting on a rental boat. They have 3 or 6 gallon remote fuel tanks which guarantee a day's fishing without refueling. These motors will cost you more, $900 to $1300.<br /><br />My experience in this range is Johnson and Evinrude 2, 3, 5, and 7.5 (now 8). All have been jewels with minimum routine maintenance which is spelled out in the Owner's Manual. Others swear by Mercs, Yamahas and any other major brand you want to name. It seems that there have been few bad ones from major manufacturers. I would recommend avoiding the low-priced, air-cooled motors using converted lawnmower and chainsaw engines. They are very light, which makes it easy to rip them off the transom and throw them in the lake when they behave like lawnmowers and chainsaws. 'Nuff said?<br /><br />I'm sure our fellow fisher . .um . .persons can add to and refine my recommendations.<br /><br />Happy Fishing!<br />JB
smile.gif

fishermama

Recruit

Thank you very much. You've been a lot of help to me.<br />I am widowed and have no man to motor me around the lake, so I will have to motor myself.<br />Good luck on your fishing excursions and I hope you catch the big one.<br />Fran