Johnson outboard - won't go forward

Robert Roane

Recruit
First of all, I am new to this board and new to the world of boating, so please forgive my ignorance!<br /><br />I have a Johnson 50hp outboard (I don't know the year but I would guess it is 20-25 years old). When I push the control lever to forward, the prop doesn't turn. No problems in reverse. Help please! Do you think the problem is the motor, or the control lever? Thanks.<br /><br />Bob Roane

Capt DHD

Seaman
Re: Johnson outboard - won't go forward

Hello Bob;<br />Look for the obvoius first, does anything look broken? If not the following simple tests will identify where the problem lies.<br />Don't try to shift the engine while it is not running unless someone turns the prop while you do so. You could end up with a bent shift rod or worse. <br />Proper shift rod height is nessessary for this unit to engauge properly. You shouldn't try to change this yourself but you can look at the motor pan lever to see if it is somewhat close. If set proper, the lever while in neutral, should be pretty much strait up and down. if it is at a strong angle one way or the other take it to a dealer to correct. <br />Is the cable adjustment right? While in neutral the cable should allow the engine shift lever to be in a vertical posistion. If it is not adjust the barrell on the cable to allow this. Try your shifting again for correctness.<br />Remove the shift cable at the engine. you should only need a 3/8 wrench/socket. Have someone shift the control while you hold the cable end with just a little tension. If the cable moves freely in all directions, chances are the cable and control box are good. <br />While the cable is still disconnected, spin the prop with your foot as you shift the lever inside the motor pan, does it engauge a gear in both directions? it should. Is the throw equal in both directions? It should be.<br />Try these simple tests one will show you your problem.<br />Good Luck. Rob