1961 Evinr will not stay running

Jerry_Cain

Recruit
I have a 1961 evinrude outboard it will start and run for 5 sec then die. I have cleaned the carb and the gas tank can some one please help

Capt DHD

Seaman
Re: 1961 Evinr will not stay running

Hello Jerry;<br />What is the model # of your engine? is it a 3HP or a 35HP?<br />Check spark, compression, gear oil etc. If nothing obvious comes of these tests, repost.<br />Good Luck Rob

Jerry_Cain

Recruit

Rob<br /> It says on the title 3.5 so probale a 3<br />I got it too run for about two min then it dies now the gear oil is fine new spark plugs it sounds like it wants more gas becauce it reves high then drops down and then goes back up and then dies

Capt DHD

Seaman

Jerry;<br />Sorry for the slow response.<br />I guess you could still have a fuel problem but have you removed the flywheel to inspect the points and coils yet?<br />If they are original they are probibly in poor shape. Check them out and see what you find. If the coil casings are cracked its time for new, Installing new points and condensers is pretty simple and the kit is not expensive. Use OMC original. You will find all these items under the flywheel.<br />We have alot of these engines in our area and they seem to run forever but its not unusual to have to do a full tune up every 4-5 years. sounds like your on your way to that.<br />Good Luck, Rob

Capt DHD

Seaman

Jerry;<br />Sorry for the slow response.<br />I guess you could still have a fuel problem but have you removed the flywheel to inspect the points and coils yet?<br />If they are original they are probibly in poor shape. Check them out and see what you find. If the coil casings are cracked its time for new, Installing new points and condensers is pretty simple and the kit is not expensive. Use OMC original. You will find all these items under the flywheel.<br />We have alot of these engines in our area and they seem to run forever but its not unusual to have to do a full tune up every 4-5 years. sounds like your on your way to that.<br />Good Luck, Rob