Problems with starter and solinoid

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys! I have 2 johnson 115hp motors one is a 1977 and the other is a 1974 and I'm not sure if the starters are bad or the solenoids? or what? On the one it cranks the motor over very slow then gets fast then back to slow again. And sometimes it just clicks. On this one the wires seem to get pretty hot. On the other 115 the starter and solenoid make a clicking sound but nothing els happens?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problems with starter and solinoid

If the starter speeds up it might be due to intermittent spark helping it along.--------------These starters are easy to take apart and inspect.-That would be step one on both of them.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Almost all of these issues are wiring, or connection related.

Take all connections off, at the battery, grounds, solenoids, starter, etc... polish with a file and tighten. Check all wiring for interior rot, nicks, cuts, abrasions. Voltage drop testing will isolate faulty wiring. If it crunches when you flex it, sure sign of rot.

If you jump the starter off a good battery, with good clean cables will she now spin?

Solenoids are often replaced which don't need replacing. Not usually the issue.

Battery load tested and fully charged?

Before pulling apart the starter, I would jump it off a known good battery with good cables as mentioned and see if she now spins.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Almost all of these issues are wiring, or connection related.

Take all connections off, at the battery, grounds, solenoids, starter, etc... polish with a file and tighten. Check all wiring for interior rot, nicks, cuts, abrasions. Voltage drop testing will isolate faulty wiring. If it crunches when you flex it, sure sign of rot.

If you jump the starter off a good battery, with good clean cables will she now spin?

Solenoids are often replaced which don't need replacing. Not usually the issue.

Battery load tested and fully charged?

Before pulling apart the starter, I would jump it off a known good battery with good cables as mentioned and see if she now spins.

Last sentence, "with good cables" is very important. Don't fool yourself by trying to use those el cheapo cables from the discount store. "Good cables" have much heavier wire and cost much more. Cheap cables have skinny wire disguised with thick insulation. I've seen junk out there with wire so skinny it wouldn't start a lawn mower.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Agree totally Frank.

I have found, that cables with sharp teeth on them, as in booster cables, will not work on some of the bigger hp motors either. Not enough surface area contact I imagine.

I made my own jumper cables for testing out of #2 gauge welding cable, with bolt on attachments. Lots of flow through these!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the cables are getting hot on the one, they may be corroded on the inside. Bend them once and see if you get a "crunch".

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just tried to bend the wires and didn't get a crunch. Later today I am going to find a new set of jumper casbles so i can try to go that rout.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay guys, on the 1974 115hp johnson I just bought some nice jumper cables, with a new battery i tried connecting straight to the starter and nothing happens at all a few sparks but thats it. Then I cleaned all of the connecters with electrical cleaner and a wire brush. Then hooked the controls up and tried to start it but the only thing that happens when i turn the key is that the silonoid makes a klick sound every time the key is turned? Any ideas? I will attach a few photos of my wiring setup.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Pull the starter apart for inspection.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, I pulled the starter apart and it looks pretty bad. Heavy rust and crum everywhere. Here are a few pictures. Image 3.jpgImage 4.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I see the pictured 74 engine already had an aftermarket starter. Your test using jumper cables-direct to the starter is usually a good test. If the starter won't crank on jumper cables to a know strong battery, pulling it apart is the next thing-or just replace it. Bombardier sells replacement brush sets for any of their own (factory) starters. With a little labor, some new brushes and some white lithium grease-you may get the old 77 factory starter going again-assuming it's a factory starter.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

with how the starter looks, do you guys think that would be a good start is to just get a new starter?