Deadman throttle hook up

flashback

Captain
Hey guys, been a long time but I'm back...I recently picked up a 15hp omc 2 stroke for a small hydro I built, about mid 80s model, and I am trying to hook up an old quincy deadman throttle to it but the advance plate has too much resistance for the cable...If I take the flywheel off then the plate moves easily, but it seems when the wheel is back on the magnets create resistance...was wondering if I could just pin the plate at WOT and then just hook the throttle cable directly to the carb..........Thx,,,,,,,,,,,

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deadman throttle hook up

Are the coils rubbing on the flywheel ??

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Go directly to the carburetor, skipping the timing advance. Lock the timing at max advance. Highly recommended that you remove the carburetor and either fill in the idle holes on the butterfly (solder or epoxy) or make a full butterfly for the throttle shaft so that it completely shuts off when you let go of the throttle. It will idle a little rough, but you're not going trolling with this thing...

Attachments

• Evinrude15AThrottleHookup_0527.jpg
    Evinrude15AThrottleHookup_0527.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

flashback

Captain

Are the coils rubbing on the flywheel ??
thx for the reply boobie,

Thats what I thought at first but there is no indication that it is rubbing..I think it is just resistance from the magnets....

flashback

Captain

Go directly to the carburetor, skipping the timing advance. Lock the timing at max advance. Highly recommended that you remove the carburetor and either fill in the idle holes on the butterfly (solder or epoxy) or make a full butterfly for the throttle shaft so that it completely shuts off when you let go of the throttle. It will idle a little rough, but you're not going trolling with this thing...

Thx Chinewalker

That is exactly what I was thinking and your right about trolling, not much chance of that......:)
I'm wondering if it will be hard to start? probably take a bit of tweaking but I should be able to find a sweet spot..

Are you recommending to fill the idle holes in the butterfly so it will be sure to shut down when the throttle is released? BTW thanks for the pic on the hookup...worth more than a 1000 words,,It's perfect!

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That is correct. That motor is a fishing motor and the holes in the butterfly are there to help idle by allowing a bit of air to skate through. You don't want that on a lake racer that you might get dumped out of.

Of course, you will ALSO be adding a kill switch to tether to your lifejacket, too, yes?? Remove the kill button on the motor and replace with a rat tail 2-wire plug , leaving a couple inches of wire at the motor, suitably protected to prevent chafing against the cowling. Mount a kill switch at a suitable spot in or around the cockpit. I've placed mine just aft of the throttle, on the deck. I've "used" mine on several occasions, and besides the safety issue, it can help save the motor from ingesting water if it goes topsy turvy. Getting tossed out or having the boat go over is not a matter of if, but when.

Adding a kill switch AND the full butterfly gives you a bit of a failsafe. I was never small enough for Class A, but I have driven a couple of those rigs and they can flat out boogie - 50+ mph! I'm guessing you do not have a racing leg on your motor, but you should still be able to get a fair bit of speed out of it.

Locking the timing at max shouldn't affect starting too much. It'll sound like it has a "cam" in it, with a bit of a burble to the normally smooth note.

flashback

Captain

Nope,, no racing leg, just the stocker..I picked this motor up cheap. all I knew about it was that the compression felt pretty good pulling the cord...got it home and stuck it in a barrel and it runs but don't yet know how it will be on a boat..I have a small fishing skiff that I plan to put it on when the weather breaks and give it a run on that boat first, if all is well then I'll mod the throttle and kill switch..already have the steering sorted out ......If I can get 40-50mph out of this I will be delighted.....:) I weigh in at about 165 so I'm at the upper end for it but I should be OK....I have a feeling that my nephew will probably commandeer it anyway.....:) Seems like you have been around this stuff for a while so your probably familiar with the Scat cat....probably not the best design for sanctioned racing but I really liked the classic look of it....It's sitting on some saw horses in the shed at the moment..I'll try and take a pic so you can see......and thx again for the info..and if you happen to have any other tips.......I'm all ears............:)