1951 Johnson TN27

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Soooo... I started looking at another of the 8. Checked compression, mid 70s in each cylinder, the coils look near new (haven't checked for spark yet. Needs new condensers.) I dropped the LU and the only things I didn't like were some pitting in the pump housing and there's a bushing at the top end of the driveshaft that was seized on and has a crack. I got it off with some pulley pullers but I don't know if it's something I should worry about or not.

I took some pics but I'm having trouble uploading them tonight so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

My only real concern is the cracked bushing that was around the driveshaft. Should I attempt finding a replacement?

It's a good thing I live alone. I have 4 motors taken apart in my living room :D

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1951 Johnson TN27

Damage to the bearing housing is usually due to a broken spring in the shock absorber. That make is it expand and the result is not enough room for it in the space provided. Item #34 spring and sleeve assembly, shock absorber. Picture is Gale version of same gearcase, all but a couple of parts are the same as TN Johnson.

Attachments

• Pg 18 Lower Unit Gearcase.jpg
    Pg 18 Lower Unit Gearcase.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As Frank stated above, have a good look at that shock absorber. If it is shot, the motor will never run right, if you can get it started at all.

The good news is there are a gazillion of these TNS for parts, and parts are cheap!

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The part I was talking about was at the top end of the driveshaft, right under the splines. Not sure what it is, exactly.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There was a thick rubber ring and a thin metal washer that fell out when I stood the motor up. I believe they belonged on the driveshaft on top of this part.

imgur: the simple image sharer

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:facepalm: I broke the fuel filter last night. Anyone got one for sale?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Lol I might. Could always just put a plastic on in the fuel line and leave the tank one out. I have made them as well out of mesh.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, I finally sourced out some corks to make a new float, made one, went to the local hobby shop to get some airplane dope to cover it in and....... The store shut down. Great. I called every other hobby shop around and none of them had any. Anyone in Canada that could tell me where to buy it online?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I always thought you could use a float from a MERCURY outboard for those motors.--Any of the side-bowl carburetors from the 60's motors.

nwcove

Admiral

i think you are correct racer....the merc float is the replacement part. but it needs minor modifications. cant believe no hobby shop has the fuel proof dope tho !

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Believe this one will work for the TN.

A-35_Float_Q.jpg

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info.

It's not too hard to believe that no hobby shops had any when there were only a couple others :D

nwcove

Admiral

Thanks for the info.

It's not too hard to believe that no hobby shops had any when there were only a couple others :D

most hobby shops that sell airpalne/boat etc kits of any kind should have the alcohol proof "dope". ?

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For the hobby dope, you may have to order online. I did a google search and found a local RC club, showed up to one of there meets with a jar and a fellow gave me some. Those guys are serious. Many had step vans with ALL there stuff in 'em.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I know of a shop in Hamilton where I bought mine. I could always ship you a jar if you get stuck. I might even have some NOS floats kicking around. The trouble is finding them! I camp across some TN powerhead gasket sets yesterday, so maybe in the same tote as that stuff.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ooooh how much for a gasket set? And let me know where that hobby shop is. I might have to make a trip up to Hamilton myself. It's been far too long since I've been to Cheapies.