1958 Evinrude Lightwin/Ducktwin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Evinrude Lightwin/Ducktwin

Can anyone tell me whether or not a 1958 3HP Evinrude Lightwin is the same as the 3HP Evinrude Ducktwin. I am curious which years they were made and whether or not they are the same motor.

Re: 1958 Evinrude Lightwin/Ducktwin

The ducktwin has all the same mechanicals as the lightwin, but different paint scheme from the factory (drab brown and another drab color) It also had different decals and was supposed to be used for duck hunting. As far as I know---different only cosmetically but different model #.
    JBJ
    BTW, I'll brag and say I have a '67 folding ducktwin with 90psi and it's a great, reliable, handy motor to own!
    Not a certified mechanic but I have at least 2 shade trees in my yard and my wife always says I'm certifiable. So remember that when you follow my advice

Comment

I just bought a 1958 Lightwin today from eBay. It is in remarkably excellent condition. I would prefer to have the color scheme of the Ducktwin but I will settle for using a burlap sack over the top while duck hunting.

Btw, is there a way for me to post a photo of my new purchase?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1958 Lightwin D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	7096089Click image for larger version

Name:	1958 Lightwin A.jpg
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	7096086Click image for larger version

Name:	1958 Lightwin B.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	7096087Click image for larger version

Name:	1958 Lightwin C.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	7096088
        Last edited by Capt MikeT; October 31st, 2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Nice motor! Good call on the gunny sack for hunting.. way too nice original paint to camo.
          author unknown: It's almost beyond the point of bearable how torturous it is to try to have any dignity in being a Vikings fan..

Comment

Ducktwin 55-68 3 hp, 69,70 4hp.
            Lightwin 52-68,
            69,70 4 hp.
            66,67,68 folding, duck & lightwin
            Yachtwin turns up 64-70.
            Except for the folding feature I think they are all essentially the same motor.
            Last edited by steelespike; October 31st, 2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the info. I'm anxious to try it out. It's been many years since I used a motor like this. Back in the early 80's a family friend borrowed his Ducktwin to us for a couple of years. Ever since then, I have loosely kept my eyes open for one. Still to this day it's the best running little motor I have come across.

Comment

Beauty original!

Please don't paint that one!
                Chris

Johnson - Evinrude Top Secret Files:

Proudly Dedicating My Time To Antique And Vintage Style Outboards!

Comment

Definitely a super nice looking motor! Even the decals are still nice. I like my ducktwin, but would love to own one like you have as well! You won't find too many of those that don't have banged up tanks----yours is fabulous. Glad you posted pics.
                  JBJ
                  Not a certified mechanic but I have at least 2 shade trees in my yard and my wife always says I'm certifiable. So remember that when you follow my advice

Comment

I say keep the paint original too. Here's a handy link to keep it running a bit longer.

3 HP Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tune-Up Procedure 1952-1967

Comment

I was curious as to what type of gas I should be running in this engine. It's been years since I have used a motor of this age. Is the gas out there these days with all of it's aditives ok to use or should I use only certain types of gas?

I remember that the fuel/oil mixture was 25/1 but I have heard that with the refined oil today that it is ok to run 50/1. Is that ok or should I stick with the old ratio of 25/1?

Comment

25/1 fuel mix w/non-ethanol fuel.
                        author unknown: It's almost beyond the point of bearable how torturous it is to try to have any dignity in being a Vikings fan..

Comment

i could be mistaken, but i think your 58 may require 16:1 ( maybe 24:1?) DO NOT run it at 50:1 !! if its not a hassle to get non-ethanol fuel, use it.
                          many men fish for years without ever knowing its not about catching one.

Comment

In my 1967 aftermarket service manual it indicates 16:1 for 58.

Comment

Thanks. It should be coming with the original manual so I'll check it out. My biggest concern was the new gasolines that are out there with all of the additives. I just wanted to make sure they would work ok in this older engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X