Durbans Johnsonator outboard motors .

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Designed Fresh water Cooling system in New Zealand .Decals to follow on cowling , soon

Attachments

• Photo0760.jpg
    Photo0760.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo0761.jpg
    Photo0761.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 6

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Durbans Johnsonator outboard motors .

Thinking outside the box, as usual, Durban. I look forward to further details.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

So is that a powerhead and complete self contained cooling in one shroud?
Do I see a black leg on it?

jbjennings

Captain

Is this for saltwater as a preventative measure to corrosion in the powerhead? Radiator in front of cowl?
Looks like a lot of work!
Interesting,
JBJ

durban

Yes the all new JOHNSONATOR OUTBOARD MOTOR , seawater salt preventitive outboard motor running like your car with antifreeze in the cooling system , the black leg you see , i just have to fit the gearbox on , stick the decals on & then ready for sea trials , this will also give us the oppertuneity to test all my other products ive made , some of the blokes on here have been following the threads from durban .http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/durbans-radiator-con-progress-531554.html
:)

nwcove

Admiral

looks like a tidy setup! does it have a heat exchanger as an extra form of cooling?

durban

no it does not have a heat exchanger certain things where changed & water flow directed to certain areas , no matter how hot the motor gets the water coming out from radiator stays at a constant temp returning to motor the areas that get hot then gets cooled elimination of parts & substituted with non heat condutor materials where used .

durban

as a matter of interest for my family we have done research on the internet but could not find a photo of a completed outboard motor with radiator design , the closest thing we could find was a picture of a diagram some one paitented some where in the USA some where round about 1943 ,
so can my motor go down in the history books ? cause the evidence is with me , thanks :)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well Ive never seen one!

Would be interested in a pic with the cowl off, did you have to modify the cowl much to fit?

durban

SO , its qiute possiable this is the first evidence of a outboard motor with a radiator conversion in the world " THE ALL" NEW JOHNSONATOR" this makes me proud to be a great johnson fan & in my eyes the best motors ever made.
the beauty about my design of the cowling is that i kept the original johnson profile of the bottom tray & cowling the tray has been widened to accomodate radiator & the cowling too to siute the original design & profile has been kept , the cowling was made from 2 cowlings cut up modified here & there , & that went for the bottom tray too , the air flow from the radiator fan has carefully been worked out & inaddition to that it also keeps the motor cool too at the rear end the cowling has been modified & motor tray & leg bottom cowling for air to flow .
its given me great satisfaction working on this design for 1 1\2 years now .
will upload some photos later tonight

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

as a matter of interest for my family we have done research on the internet but could not find a photo of a completed outboard motor with radiator design
Radiator cooled outboard powerheads have been used for years on different types of equipment such as snowmobiles,helicopters,ultralites,powered parasails,sandrails,dune buggys but never seen one for a marine environment. Will be interesting to see how it cools under a load....
Here is a heli link..
Stierlin RS-40
Link to Johnson 275 hp V-8 in sandrail...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRKeuHyI0lw

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Back in my kart racing days we had a member who adapted a Johnny MQ-10 powerhead for radiator water cooling and used it on his racing kart. It wasn't very competitive but made the most wonderful howl at WOT.

jbjennings

Captain

Durban,
Have you run your conversions on a boat at full throttle for any distance yet? Looks like you're having a good time with your hobby and are far more ambitious than I am about trying out your ideas. I only have freshwater to run in and always find that the clutch/gears need replacing before the powerheads do as long as they have oil and stay cool. That saltwater must really be a killer for you to be that serious about keeping it out!
Good luck,
JBJ

durban

no i have not run it on my little boat yet , i however have confidance in what ever i do , one example on this site there is a thread of mine about deflectors , my plan B WORKS , its proved it self over , & over , my rad con gonna work too , i am gonna modify my boat to make it the safest unsinkable boat around , ive already got some ideas in my head , example your car has got a air bag in the front some where when you have a crash now my boat gonna have something like this in it to ,but work in the same way iam not expecting to have a crash , should something happen out at sea i will stay afloat , it will also have a free board deck water tight 4 ,1\2 inches above the water line with sealed containers underneath it too , its only 13 .6 ft gonna make it longer with the transome 1 meter from the aftend forward , something like the rubber ducks they have 2 pontoons & biuld a standup console , with fish hattaches on top of the deck self draining , there will be self draining scuppers in the transome , ive turned 2 boats upside down in the sea before , what saved my life was the freeboard water tight deck ,when i did my skippers ticket rule no 1 if your boat capsizes stay with it sit on the hull
yes iam determined to keep salt water out my motors , ive been to countrys where the density of salt water is more than here in new zealand thus causeing faster corosion over a few year if you dont look after your equiptment ,its all coroded & emptys your pockets

to me its piontless floating around in the sea with a life jacket on if there are great white sharks on the hunt around i feel safer sitting ontop of the hull ....

kodibass

It will work, It MUST work, Why? cause it just looks way to Kooool not to work, can't wait to see the final product ! go durban

durban

just neatened up a few things as the local news papper reporter is comeing to have a chat

iam more proud about my profile on the shape of the cowling cover & tray i made than anything else :)

Attachments

• Photo0779.jpg
    Photo0779.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo0782.jpg
    Photo0782.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo0778.jpg
    Photo0778.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo0781.jpg
    Photo0781.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 11

kodibass

Outstanding! needs a hood ornament,,,, nothing flashy tho,, you don't want to draw attention "-)

durban

yea , maybe mount a fish head on it , ha. ha , i dont worry about the attension , the pride & the love of working on motors as a hobbie gives me more satisfaction , maybe some one will put it to good use some where in exchange .......? for what ever ,or put it in the maritime museum . cheers

phillnjack2

Ensign

Just needs a good seatrial now.
the proof is in the pudding.
if this lasts for 1 hour at wot then the engine is a success,if it dont then its will only be some simple to stop it from working.
Very neat and simple engine set up, so no reason why it should not work.
its just a matter of getting the temp right, and that can simply be done by using a thermostate the same temp as
per the original engine to keep running at optimum temp for the outboard.

go for it durban, you know its gonna be perfect

phill