1974 johnson 85 v4

FLETCHER170

Cadet
Hi,
After my 1979 johnson 140 v4 nipped a piston ring and destroyed the piston and head I came across this engine.

Its a 1974 johnson 85 v4, love the new engines lol.

My first question is will my tilt and trim fit onto this engine? if not is it possible to modify it to fit?

Are any of the electrics the same?

Is this going to be big enough for my Fletcher arrowbeau 170?

Thanks in advance.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 johnson 85 v4

Not much in common between these engines, other than outward appearance. The trim systems won't swap. The 140 engine is 99.6 cubic inches, the 74 85 hp is a 92 cubic inch engine, so none of the internals swap. The cooling thermostat systems are different as are the bottoms of the blocks, so they blocks won't swap on the midsections. Both ignition systems are all electronic. You might be able to swap the ignition systems/wiring, since they both use the same type stator and timer base. The only problem will be that the heads don't have brackets cast onto them to support the spark plug coils and there is no mounts on the 74 for the dual power packs. The lower units shift backwards from each other and are not interchangeable unless you swap out the intake manifolds and the shift mechanisms. Having said all this, the 85 hp engine should be a good runner. It will probably have strong acceleration torque out of the hole, but will not have the power/rpm's of the 140 over 4000 rpm's. The biggest drawback in my humble opinion: no trim on the 74.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 johnson 85 v4

Agree with above plus it not propshaft rated, so its really on about 80 hp at prop where 140 is about 120hp.