Got this Fleetwin as a freebee..

Quacker Joe

Recruit
I got this as a freebee it has great compression and spark.. Guy said he had it start on starting fluid but it dident pick up water or spit it out either..Now I dont know squat about outboards now is this worth getting it fixed or junkin.. wanna use it on my duck boat ..anyone around NE Pa can offer some help dont wanna put more then getting another running motor into it..also if anyone can tell me year guy said around 1957.. Thanks..Joe
IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0261-1.jpg

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Got this Fleetwin as a freebee..

Don't know the exact year but '57 is very close. Putting in a new impeller is fairly easy to do and well worth it for that motor. They are tough and reasonably reliable. Perfect duck hunter. My avice: put in the impeller, check the lower unit gear oil (look for milky looking oil, if it is milky looking, then you need some seal replacement, another fairly easy job), new plugs, fresh fuel/oil mix ( I believe the ratio is 24:1), run it slow for the first ten minutes and watch the exhaust for a water spray (doesn't have a pee stream). Go duck hunting!

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Motor is a 55 or prior (check exhaust port on leg). On that model you will have to pull the power head to change the impeller but it is really not a big deal (you will also need a new base gasket). Ratio is 16:1 (8oz per gal). Great old motors, good luck and have fun.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It is a '54. Cowling has silver side bands and is bolted to the support arms on the starboard side. '55s look similar but have white side bands and are not bolted to the support arms.

Quacker Joe

Recruit

This motor is to heavy for my 12 foot jon boat I am a big guy and using this motor on this boat aint gonna be to safe.. If anyone is interested in a trade for a smaller motor or buying it let me know..

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

Look for the serial number. Mine is 7514 which makes it a 1954 like chinewalker said. They are great little motors. Did you get the pressurized tank with it?