Can I use a 3 wire tilt and trim motor with the "relay" box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grassijo

Recruit
Hello all! This is my first time using this site, bear with me. I'm putting a 1979 Johnson 115 on a boat that has 1986 controls. Everything was going great till I got to the trim wires. The t&t on the motor I'm using has 3 wires. Old motor had 2 wires. Can I use the controls and the black box with the relays instead of using the black box with the solenoid? Another words does the controls from the 86 motor work with the 79 motor? And what are the other wires in the black box going for? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Re: Can I use a 3 wire tilt and trim motor with the "relay" box.

Hello all! This is my first time using this site, bear with me. I'm putting a 1979 Johnson 115 on a boat that has 1986 controls. Everything was going great till I got to the trim wires. The t&t on the motor I'm using has 3 wires. Old motor had 2 wires. Can I use the controls and the black box with the relays instead of using the black box with the solenoid? Another words does the controls from the 86 motor work with the 79 motor? And what are the other wires in the black box going for? Thanks for any help you can give me.

if you understand basic wiring then it can be done but will require some rewiring of the relays which shouldnt be to hard. the other wires are for the trim indicator gauges

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

you can just add another relay if you have the 2 wire set up , the 3rd relay will then be for your negative detach the negative from each relay & make the 3rd relay your negative , as the 2way wire motor when it changes direction either one becomes negative .

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok. the 3 wire pump uses 1 relay
2 wire pump uses 2 relays.
so. you are going from a 2 wire pump to a 3. so, this is easy.

because (with evinrude) they decided to only use a relay for "up" and direct wire for down as the weight
of the engine is then in a falling motion, and you dont need as much power to tilt down as you
do up (because its lifting the weight), therefor you only need ONE relay for the job.
depending on the type of relay used in your original 2 wire setup, i would say go buy a 12volt solenoid
as most relays use a normal spade conector (i dont trust them) where as the solenoid uses bolt conectors
but you best check that.

tilt3.jpg the green wire is down, as it does not pass through the relay (solenoid)
black wire is earth and is on pin G
the red wire goes from the battery to pin 4 of the solenoid then to
your switch (red/white wire) (i added a 2nd switch to the engine )
the blue/white wire from the switch to pin 7 and blue/white wire from pin 6
to the up of the pump (blue wire)
Green/white wire from the switch goes to the terminal block then becomes the
solid green wire to the pump.
This is if they have kept the same wire color codes.
if you want to keep both relays let me know and i will draw up another cct for you using both the relays you have.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

To use the existing relay box just remove the black wire to center of the relays usually marked 87A, hook your motor to the blue and green wires from relays and install black wire from 3 wire motor under a good ground, This gives you a separate relay for up and down.

Grassijo

Recruit

Thank you all. I will post tomorrow night and let you know how it goes.

Grassijo

Recruit

ok. the 3 wire pump uses 1 relay
2 wire pump uses 2 relays.
so. you are going from a 2 wire pump to a 3. so, this is easy.

because (with evinrude) they decided to only use a relay for "up" and direct wire for down as the weight
of the engine is then in a falling motion, and you dont need as much power to tilt down as you
do up (because its lifting the weight), therefor you only need ONE relay for the job.
depending on the type of relay used in your original 2 wire setup, i would say go buy a 12volt solenoid
as most relays use a normal spade conector (i dont trust them) where as the solenoid uses bolt conectors
but you best check that

View attachment 170370 the green wire is down, as it does not pass through the relay (solenoid)
black wire is earth and is on pin G
the red wire goes from the battery to pin 4 of the solenoid then to
your switch (red/white wire) (i added a 2nd switch to the engine )
the blue/white wire from the switch to pin 7 and blue/white wire from pin 6
to the up of the pump (blue wire)
Green/white wire from the switch goes to the terminal block then becomes the
solid green wire to the pump.
This is if they have kept the same wire color codes.
if you want to keep both relays let me know and i will draw up another cct for you using both the relays you have.
I used a 12 volt solenoid from the old boat and it worked. The only thing I noticed is the motor moves slower going down then going up. Is that the difference between direct wiring and wiring threw the solenoid?

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used a 12 volt solenoid from the old boat and it worked. The only thing I noticed is the motor moves slower going down then going up. Is that the difference between direct wiring and wiring threw the solenoid?

This very well could be the case.
i didnt change mine, i just had that circuit as i was adding a tilt switch to the engine cowl.

Faztbullet made a good point in how to run it after my post. I left mine and posted that as its the factory standard at that time.

I have a 3 wire winch relay box out of a mates boat (wrong setup for his winch) What i will do is test it in my tilt trim and see how much difference there is in tilt down.

If its a big difference i will let you know. i will use Faztbullet way and make up a circuit diagram for you if you need one.
If you do want to do that. take a pic of the original tilt relays for me so i can see the type of conector they use.

SeaBisket

Seaman Apprentice

To use the existing relay box just remove the black wire to center of the relays usually marked 87A, hook your motor to the blue and green wires from relays and install black wire from 3 wire motor under a good ground, This gives you a separate relay for up and down.

(Signed-up just to thank you for this and to let people know it worked for me....)

^^ This is exactly what I did. This is a 1996 Evinrude 88 HP e88tsledr motor. I ha d a two-wire motor and replaced it with a three wire.

To understand what's going on, the two wire system is 12 V + and -. Up and down just switches polarity. I tried wiring into a 2 wire system and I did green for down, blue for up, and I made a common ground for the new motor's black. Well.. wires got hot and stuff didn't work so I knew something was up. I found this post above an tested again.

So after pushing the spade connector out of the center relay plug (87a), and putting some heat shrink on it to guard against shorting, I tried the reading with a multi meter again. The old two wire system gave no voltage without adding a common ground. Now it was DOWN = GREEN as 12V+ COMMON GROUND as 12V-. and UP = BLUE as 12V+ COMMON GROUND as 12V-.

That's it! Thanks so much for the info. No need to wire in anything else. Remove that 87a wire from connecting to the relay and all is great!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the thanks and info. It's still an old thread and is part of the archives.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.