1995 V4 115 hp Johnson piston clearence to bore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 V4 115 hp Johnson piston clearence to bore

Could someone tell me what is the max movement/Clearence the pistons can have if any.

Re: 1995 V4 115 hp Johnson piston clearence to bore

.005 ". If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Comment

max .0075
      min .0045

Comment

Originally posted by Alby27 View Post
        Could someone tell me what is the max movement/Clearence the pistons can have if any.
        Thanks for that, So if the piston is touching the bore than new rings are needed ?

Comment

not necessarily could be that your rings are stuck in the ring grooves & not expanding

Comment

Originally posted by durban View Post
            not necessarily could be that your rings are stuck in the ring grooves & not expanding
            I will check it out, Thanks Durban

Comment

use industrial paint remover to eat the carbon off & rinse with paraffin industrial paint remover eats carbon like ****

Comment

You don't want the piston touching the bore. You need the clearance for lubrication.

Comment

I dont know how you can get interferance between the piston and the bore...pistons dont get bigger over time and bores dont get smaller over time!I have a 1995 115 and its manual....they had two different models that year. on my model a 60 degree looper the book does not specify the spec you asked for. there is a standard manufacture bore dia. of 3.5995-3.6005. they give some specs on the piston...its cant taper more than .002, it cant be out of round by more than .004, and the dia measure at two places 90 degrees apart cant vary by more than .003

they say the bore cant be OVERSIZE more than .004

thats a lot of over lapping dimensions...... they also give a ring end gap.....which is important

i dont know for sure, but I would suspect the crossflow motors have similar tolerance....even if the measurements are different.

bob

Comment

that's why they make .020 & .030 pistons for that matter the piston to cylinder clearance still remains the same .

Comment

Originally posted by durban View Post
                      that's why they make .020 & .030 pistons for that matter the piston to cylinder clearance still remains the same .
                      Thanks for the info everyone turns out that I have correct clearence .
                      The issue was more that I had a lot of movement with pistons that concerned me and apparently this is normal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X