What's the best way to remove the magnets from the flywheel? 1988 V6 225 Evinrude

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
I had two magnets come loose that need to be cleaned and epoxied back on. The last time I reattached all of them was at least 12 years ago, so I think the prudent thing to do is to epoxy all of them. What is the best way to remove the four that are still attached that will minimize the chance of breaking the magnets?

I am familiar with the procedure to replace them once they are off.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What's the best way to remove the magnets from the flywheel? 1988 V6 225 Evinrude

In fairness, I didn't give anyone much time to respond to this question, but I did come up with a method that worked for me. I the hope that this will help someone else. Here is how I did it.

The magnets are very brittle, so you do not want to try to pry them off.

First I marked the location of the magnets using a small file and putting a small notch in the flywheel ring so I can put them back in the same position. Hopefully it will be close to balanced when I'm done.

I used an old wood chisel to scrap away the epoxy that oozed out between the magnets the last time they were replace. This removes any physical bond between the adjacent magnets.

I then scrapped away the epoxy on the bottom edge of the flywheel and magnet until I could see the joint where the back side of the magnet is bonded to the flywheel.

Using a brass drift and a small hammer, I very gently repeatedly tapped the end of the magnet until it began to move around the circumference of the flywheel ring. This method worked for all four magnets, and sheared the epoxy bond instead of trying to pull the bond apart.

For the best bond, be sure to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and use acetone to remove any grease or oils from your fingerprints prior to applying the epoxy.

daselbee

Commander
Re: What's the best way to remove the magnets from the flywheel? 1988 V6 225 Evinrude

If you use a 7/16 bolt as a spacer, the mags will be perfectly and evenly spaced all around the wheel.
If you get six bolts, you can glue them all in one work session.....if not, do two, wait, then do two more...etc.
I use JBWeld and let it sit in the sun.....24 hour cure time....I doubt that your method of shearing the bond would work on that....:)

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I've read that JB Weld works well, but I didn't find a lot of feedback as to the long term success when using JB Weld. I chose to use the Hardman epoxy (purple label) that comes with the magnet repair kits. I agree that it would not be as easy to break the bond on a freshly epoxied magnet, but the heat cycles, moisture and time worked their magic. I plan on using the 7/16" bolts to space the magnets but I like to get the first one placed back where it came from to hopefully maintain the balance of the flywheel.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to re-glue the magnets on an another engine I have ('86 225HP) while it's put up for the winter. I see that JB Weld has a marine epoxy that is advertised as being waterproof and weatherproof. I'm going to give that a try this time.
A few of the magnets did not come off as easily as those on the previous flywheel. I was able to remove them with single edged razor blades. After scraping away the epoxy from the edge of the magnets I was able to gently tap the razor blade between the magnet and flywheel. I needed two blades per magnet to get them loose. You will need to use the thinner single edge blades that have the protective metal edge folded over the other side, not the heavy duty angled blades that go in a razor knife. They need to be able to flex to match the curve of the flywheel. You will most likely still break a few, so have extras.
Those are the two methods that worked for me. I have yet to break a magnet, and at about $25 a piece that's a good thing. If there is a better way to accomplish this task I'd like to hear it. I'm always looking for an easier way to do things.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In addition to the above..... I simply used a small piece of wood and a small hammer to tap the magnets loose. If a magnet was slightly cracked and broke in the process, no big deal... it happens, I replaced it. I've always used short lengths of 3/8" fuel line (non magnetic) to space between the magnets when reinstalling.

It doesn't matter where the magnets are initially attached, only that they are spaced evenly and bevel side facing the outer edge (bottom of flywheel).

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
Old thread I know but I've just done this job tonight. A couple of my magnets were completely shattered and I was able to source a second hand flywheel complete but wanted the old magnets in case I ever needed to do the job again. I applied heat to the outside of the flywheel with a calor gas torch for a few minutes then gently tapped the end of the magnets with a piece of wood to cushion the hammer blows. The remaining four magnets released intact!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you know it's an old topic, why post? Please don't reply to old topics with no activity for 90 or more days. You could have made an informational post. Thanks.

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
Apologies Sir, having read the post when researching this particular topic and actually done the task that the original poster had sought information on and realising that some other person MAY at some time in the future might stumble upon this obscure subject I thought obviously wrongly that more information might be an asset!!!!!
I bow to your superior knowledge on this. Please feel free to delete this and any other worthless posts I may have added to your forum.

vistacruiser

Cadet
I just read this and learned a few things. Not because I was searching this subject, but because I have a feeling at some point I may need to think about reattaching magnets to my own GT200 flywheel.