Flywheel puller for multiple Johnson outboard motors.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm asking you guys to help me pick a flywheel puller for my Johnson motors. I've got a JW-13, an AD-10M a RDE-19M and a 25R69D.

Is there single high quality puller that would fit all four of these motors?

......and where to buy it?

I'd like to get a good compression tester also if anyone has suggestions.

I borrowed a friends puller to get the flywheel off of the JW-13. It was a two armed puller that had to reach down below the flywheel. It worked but it didn't feel good at all. Man those coils were roasted just like in the photos I've seen! Bear with me.....I new at this stuff.

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel puller for multiple Johnson outboard motors.

All you need is a cheap puller like this.

Then go to the hardware store and get grade 8 bolts for it. (They wont come with it.) The ones that come with it will bust under stress.

I have used this one on quite an array of motors, always done the trick.

128.jpg

Harbour Freight will have what you need at a cheap price. Might also want to get an adjustable inline spark tester while you are there if you dont have one.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, I have that same puller too. Just make sure when you put the bolts into the flywheel, that you don't put them in too far, because it will mess up your coils if you turn the flywheel and even if you don't. You also want to make sure that you have decent sized washers on the bolts, so they don't de-form, while you tighten the bolts. I recomend getting washers with .265 ID and at least .750 OD

All you need to do is, tighten each of the three down evenly then give the bolt on top of the puller a gentle tap. If that doesn't break it free, then give each bolt a 1/4 turn and tap the center bolt on the puller again. Pull up on the whole assembly. If it doesn't lift free, then give each bolt another 1/4 turn and tap the center bolt on the puller and see if it pops loose. At this point, if it hasn't broke free, then gently tap it around the outside of the flywheel too and that will help it break loose. I never have had issues breaking a flywheel loose with this method. If you do, let me know.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Harbor Freight is your friend for lots of small engine stuff on a budget that can be easily replaced after wear and tear.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I do it the opposite of Zephyr but there are multiple ways to skin a cat so to speak, lol

I mark each of the 3 smaller bolts with a sharpie then tighten them down to that mark so that they are all equally tightened. As stated, not too far that you go into the coils. Then I start tightening the center bolt. I leave the nut on the crank just in case she breaks free violently. I like to do this so that I know I am pulling up squarely to the crank and not on an angle.

The most important thing Zepyr stated was to pull UP on the flywheel before rapping on the center bolt. I have never had trouble with this method on any motor big or small. Have never used penetrating oil, heat, just tightening and raps of the hammer.

kfa4303

Banned

nwcove

Admiral

I'm asking you guys to help me pick a flywheel puller for my Johnson motors. I've got a JW-13, an AD-10M a RDE-19M and a 25R69D.

Is there single high quality puller that would fit all four of these motors?

......and where to buy it?

I'd like to get a good compression tester also if anyone has suggestions.

I borrowed a friends puller to get the flywheel off of the JW-13. It was a two armed puller that had to reach down below the flywheel. It worked but it didn't feel good at all. Man those coils were roasted just like in the photos I've seen! Bear with me.....I new at this stuff.

Thanks

never use a "two armed" puller on your ob flywheel, go down to your local auto parts store and ask for the tool shown by hightrim, its a harmonic balancer puller. then get the bolts mentioned and yer set.

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

To ad to what High Trim said about marking the bolts, I used electrical shrink tubing
on My bolts so they don't go to deep.
I've got a 52 QD13 Johnson that p/o ran the bolts too deep and ripped the ground wires
out of brand new coils. Not enough wire left to solder back together.
Good Luck with Your motor.
Steve A W

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

To ad to what High Trim said about marking the bolts, I used electrical shrink tubing
on My bolts so they don't go to deep.
I've got a 52 QD13 Johnson that p/o ran the bolts too deep and ripped the ground wires
out of brand new coils. Not enough wire left to solder back together.
Good Luck with Your motor.
Steve A W

I like that idea too.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks so much guys.

I'll post my progress in a separate thread for each motor.