Piston to Cylinder Clearance

randyhall

Cadet
I'm doing a rebuild on my 1988 XP200 and I need to find the piston to cylinder wall clearance specification values. I have an OEM Service Manual and it has been very helpful for this whole project, but I can't seem to find what the clearance should be on this. I am having a cylinder bored out and need to know this value before I can drop it off. Does anyone know what the clearance should be according to factory specs?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Piston to Cylinder Clearance

THe machine shop, if they know what pistons specifically you're going to use, will know exactly what to do, unless you're using an automotive shop, then all bets are off. You shouldn't be telling the machine shop, they should be telling you.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Piston to Cylinder Clearance

Clearance is.003. Measure the cylinder at top, middle around the ports and bottom.If over .003 out of round bore to next larger size. Measure the skirts of the pistons also and if clearance is over .003 replace them. Since this is a 88 model engine it will have the bridged exhaust port that will need to be modified as replacement pistons do not have the extra oiling holes drilled in them.