Johnson 70hp 1978 model have bogging down problem

Anno

Recruit
So I've got this old johno starts fine idles beautiful in the water but as soon as I put it in gear it will cruise for a while fine but if I try to throttle it's bogs down and trys to stall if u press choke or pump throttle it gets over it and goes like a dream so to try fix this problem I have pulled carbys apart and re built also I wasnt sure about the read valves so I have replaced them also this helped but didn't fix so I borrowed a fuel pump off another 70 of a mates but didn't help we have carried out link sync and replaced the stator and coils leads and plugs now as the battery wasn't getting charge this hasn't help either can some one please help I've even had a marine mechanic check it out he tuned it and still the same Problem all cylinders have 130 psi on all cylinders please help thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 70hp 1978 model have bogging down problem

Your clue is that when you hit the choke it picks up and runs fine. It sounds like you still have a fuel delivery problem. When you rebuilt your carbs did you remove all the orifices and clean them?

Your clue is that when you hit the choke it picks up and runs fine. It sounds like you still have a fuel delivery problem. When you rebuilt your carbs did you remove all the orifices and clean them?
Sounds like carbs to me also.....Check for air lost

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a common problem on an otherwise outstanding engine. The idle circuit on these loop-charged engines is very lean, and any slight disruption to fuel flow can cause this "lean bog" you are experiencing on acceleration. Mine is a 1976 Evinrude 70, and I about went nuts trying to correct the same problem. Here are a couple of things related to the carbs, even after a re-build:

1. If I remember correctly there are 3 very tiny fuel passages for the idle circuit of each carb. These are the tiny holes you see in the throat of the carb just behind the throttle plate. These ports need to be perfectly clean all the way through. Even after a "cleaning" during a rebuild, there can be deposits left in these ports. It's not so much a blockage, as a slight restriction by having slight deposits remain. It's worth it to have the carb bodies professionally boiled out to be sure all deposits are removed.

2. It's common after many years of use for the throttle plate shafts to wear a slight oblong shape into the carb body where the shaft passes through. This allows a slight amount of air to pass between the shaft and the carb body, and will slightly lean the mixture particularly at low speads. These particular motors are very sensitive to this, and it doesn't take much wear in this area to begin to cause a problem. Short of trying to find replacement carbs that aren't worn, a "fix" for this is to pack a small amount of heavy grease around the outside areas where the throttle shaft enters the carb body. OMC (now BRP) Triple Guard Grease is perfect for this as it's thick and tacky. Don't make a mess of things, you need just a thick film around the crevace area where the shaft enters the body of the carb. Do this only on the outside of the carb and do both sides, as the shaft exits on the opposite side of the carb body. The spring on the shaft isn't a problem, just pack a little grease at the edge where the shaft, spring, and carb body all meet. It's amazing how much this can help, and it lasts. I clean and re-apply the grease only about every other year on mine. It's quick, easy, and it DOES work if the engine is drawing air through here, as the grease seals this small air leak.

3. After doing some research I've concluded that OMC didn't have the idle jetting quite right on the earlier models of these engines. I don't have the jet numbers in front of me, but I replaced the low speed jets in mine with new ones that are 2 sizes larger. This completely solved my lean bog problem, and the engine still idles fine. Not quite as "clean" an idle as before, but still fine. Now, mine is a 1976 model. In 1977 OMC made a change and they started coming from the factory with an idle jet one step larger (richer) than my 1976 came with. This fact is what told me they recognized they had a problem. Your 1978 came with the same jets as the 1977 model, which means you already have idle jets that are 1 step richer than my originals were. By increasing 2 steps, my idle jets are now currently one step richer than yours. The jets are easy to experiment with, as they can be removed from the front of the carb without disassembly. Just be extremely careful not to allow the tiny low speed jet to drop in the carb throat when you change them. These jets are still readily available from a good Johnson/Evinrude dealer.

Installing the richer idle jets and keeping the throttle shaft entrance packed with a small amount of grease has completely solved my lean bog problem and it has remained solved for several years.
Good luck!

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a common problem on an otherwise outstanding engine. The idle circuit on these loop-charged engines is very lean, and any slight disruption to fuel flow can cause this "lean bog" you are experiencing on acceleration. Mine is a 1976 Evinrude 70, and I about went nuts trying to correct the same problem. Here are a couple of things related to the carbs, even after a re-build:

1. If I remember correctly there are 3 very tiny fuel passages for the idle circuit of each carb. These are the tiny holes you see in the throat of the carb just behind the throttle plate. These ports need to be perfectly clean all the way through. Even after a "cleaning" during a rebuild, there can be deposits left in these ports. It's not so much a blockage, as a slight restriction by having slight deposits remain. It's worth it to have the carb bodies professionally boiled out to be sure all deposits are removed.

2. It's common after many years of use for the throttle plate shafts to wear a slight oblong shape into the carb body where the shaft passes through. This allows a slight amount of air to pass between the shaft and the carb body, and will slightly lean the mixture particularly at low speads. These particular motors are very sensitive to this, and it doesn't take much wear in this area to begin to cause a problem. Short of trying to find replacement carbs that aren't worn, a "fix" for this is to pack a small amount of heavy grease around the outside areas where the throttle shaft enters the carb body. OMC (now BRP) Triple Guard Grease is perfect for this as it's thick and tacky. Don't make a mess of things, you need just a thick film around the crevace area where the shaft enters the body of the carb. Do this only on the outside of the carb and do both sides, as the shaft exits on the opposite side of the carb body. The spring on the shaft isn't a problem, just pack a little grease at the edge where the shaft, spring, and carb body all meet. It's amazing how much this can help, and it lasts. I clean and re-apply the grease only about every other year on mine. It's quick, easy, and it DOES work if the engine is drawing air through here, as the grease seals this small air leak.

3. After doing some research I've concluded that OMC didn't have the idle jetting quite right on the earlier models of these engines. I don't have the jet numbers in front of me, but I replaced the low speed jets in mine with new ones that are 2 sizes larger. This completely solved my lean bog problem, and the engine still idles fine. Not quite as "clean" an idle as before, but still fine. Now, mine is a 1976 model. In 1977 OMC made a change and they started coming from the factory with an idle jet one step larger (richer) than my 1976 came with. This fact is what told me they recognized they had a problem. Your 1978 came with the same jets as the 1977 model, which means you already have idle jets that are 1 step richer than my originals were. By increasing 2 steps, my idle jets are now currently one step richer than yours. The jets are easy to experiment with, as they can be removed from the front of the carb without disassembly. Just be extremely careful not to allow the tiny low speed jet to drop in the carb throat when you change them. These jets are still readily available from a good Johnson/Evinrude dealer.

Installing the richer idle jets and keeping the throttle shaft entrance packed with a small amount of grease has completely solved my lean bog problem and it has remained solved for several years.
Good luck!

BrownFloater

Recruit

1kruzer1,
Is there any chance you can find part numbers for the larger jet sizes? I also have a 1976 70hp that is experiencing a lean bog and I would like to get some new idle jets for mine as well. I have been doing some research, but I have not been very successful in finding any relevant info. From what I can tell, Johnson used the same carbs for a long run (mid 70s to early 90s or so) however when I was looking for part numbers on marineengine.com I found that they varied from year to year. You seem to know a lot about these engines and I would be interested in any info you might have. Thanks a lot, Im gonna try the grease thing too!

eavega

Lieutenant

Hi guys

So, I have a '76 70 hp Johnson with the same problem. I have rebuilt then re-cleaned the carbs multiple times, replaced all the fuel lines, and rebuilt the fuel pump trying to get past this fuel problem. No dice. I finally had a response on a thread of mine that there was a TSB regarding a lean condition causing loss of mid-range throttle on the 1976 70 and 75 hp motors. The bulletin also had a step-by-step of how to correct the issue. It involves drilling out some of those tiny passages and changing our the idle jets from .030 to 0.032. Again this TSB only applied to 1976 70 and 75 hp motors. I assume they had figured it out by 1977. Check your carbs to see if they have an "x" stamped on the top of the carbs body. That was supposed to be the indication that the carbs had been modified. Also, check to see if your idle jets are the smaller diameter. That should tell you whether or not your carbs have been modified.
I don't know if this is applicable to the OP, but you never know if somehow some unmodified 1976 carbs got on your motor.
I am waiting for the new larger jets and the correct drill bits to arrive to do the mod. I will report success or failure when I get it done and try it out on the water.

Rgds

I saw the .pdf of the service bulletin on a boating forum. There was an issue in 76. Let me see if i can find the bulletin. Well i couldn't upload it but i googled it and found it on your site here. sept 2012....I've had both 73 and a 78 3cyl. I could tune the bog out of the 73 because it had idle mixture screws. I'm having a weakish hole shot on the 78, and was toying with the idea of putting mixture screws into the abandoned capped off ones on the 78 carbs. It physically fit, but i'm not sure the jets or orifices would take kindly to a stranger monkeying with its ratio's. Since both motors are 49 cid I was thinkin maybe swap the 65hp carbs and get better mileage and lose a couple hp. top speed only varied 3mph with the additonal 5 hp.
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/service-bulletin-1429-evinrude-82693.html

So, I have a '76 70 hp Johnson with the same problem. I have rebuilt then re-cleaned the carbs multiple times, replaced all the fuel lines, and rebuilt the fuel pump trying to get past this fuel problem. No dice. I finally had a response on a thread of mine that there was a TSB regarding a lean condition causing loss of mid-range throttle on the 1976 70 and 75 hp motors. The bulletin also had a step-by-step of how to correct the issue. It involves drilling out some of those tiny passages and changing our the idle jets from .030 to 0.032. Again this TSB only applied to 1976 70 and 75 hp motors. I assume they had figured it out by 1977. Check your carbs to see if they have an "x" stamped on the top of the carbs body. That was supposed to be the indication that the carbs had been modified. Also, check to see if your idle jets are the smaller diameter. That should tell you whether or not your carbs have been modified.
I don't know if this is applicable to the OP, but you never know if somehow some unmodified 1976 carbs got on your motor.
I am waiting for the new larger jets and the correct drill bits to arrive to do the mod. I will report success or failure when I get it done and try it out on the water.

Rgds