Evinrude 90hp RPM Gauge Connection

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering if anyone can assit me in connecting my RMP Gage. I have 6 wires, Gray, Purple, and black. I'm not sure where they go....Can anyone help..

Mav

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 90hp RPM Gauge Connection

The gray one is the pulse. I think purple might be a switched positive.

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

correct

grey = signal
purple = positive (+)
black = ground (-)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

id be willing to bet the purple and black arent needed unless you drive at night...and your gauge is lighted....but not 100% sure of that.

USUALLY you need to "SET" your tachometer( rpm guage) to a certain P setting on the back of the guage to match your motor.

bob

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

on mine, the purple and black are separate from the lighting. the lighting requires another positive blue wire.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

on mine, the purple and black are separate from the lighting. the lighting requires another positive blue wire.

usually the BLUE wire is just the connection from gauge to guage, and only one guage will run a wire to the ignition....other wise you have a rats nest of wires running to your ignition switch from 10 different gauges that need light!!!!!!!!!! ha ha h

bob

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The tach MUST have the black and grey connected, or it won't work. BTW, your controller probably has a three pin plug. If so, any BRP Evinrude dealer can supply the mating harness to plug and terminate to the tach.

OMC Ignition sw overallSwitch.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Some of the OMC control boxes have a tach pigtail dangling from the bottom of the box. The pigtail has a purple, black and grey that go through a 3 pin connector. That's for an OMC tach installation. You can cut the plug off the end of those wires and wire it direct if it's a non OMC/Bombardier tach. Follow Blimp's wiring comment.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I do have a BRP controls, but I don't know where these 3 wires connect too. Does all 3 go to the controls or what. Never connected one before. I also read that you have to set the RPM gage. I have a 4 cyclinder 90hp, I was told to set it at 4000 RPM's. Is there somewhere on the controls that these wires go too.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I do have a BRP controls, but I don't know where these 3 wires connect too. Does all 3 go to the controls or what. Never connected one before. I also read that you have to set the RPM gage. I have a 4 cyclinder 90hp, I was told to set it at 4000 RPM's. Is there somewhere on the controls that these wires go too.

ok you may have it back wards in your thinking...all the wires that you are dealing with SHOULD COME FROM the controls!!!

there can sometimes be a plug with 8 pins for a systems check tach AND the control will STILL have an extra three wires hanging( purple, black and gray) for a seperate hook up of a tach, IN CASE YOU DONT USE THE SYSTEMS CHECK Tach.

or: are you saying you have a tach with three wires already attached to it??( someone cut out a tach of another boat maybe)

if so, you should remove them and just attach the three corresponding colored wires that are coming from your conrtols harness..

as for setting your tach , there is no RPM setting when installing...but on the back of the tach there is an adjustable feature for pulse counts 3P, 4P, 6P ect. I THINK your motor uses a 6P setting....

then after you install your tach, your motor should be running at about 5500 rpms( i like 5800!!) at WOT( wide open throttle) after fulling finding ideal trim while under way. that maybe be what you heard about setting the tach .....but 4000 rpms is way low!!

you will need to try different props if your motor is running good BUT, you cant get 5500 rpms at WOT.

this isnt hard stuff...even though uit may sound it...

you can pull your control probably and look for loose wires that need to go to your instrument panel( ie the tach wires) do you have any other guages???? do you have lights hooked up to any if you do have other gauges??

bob

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I just brought a OMC control box w/o tilt and trim. There is one plug only the end with 6 wires. Pink/Blue, Yellow/red, Black/White, Yellow/Black, Purple, and Purple/White. Idon't know which is which.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I just brought a OMC control box w/o tilt and trim. There is one plug only the end with 6 wires. Pink/Blue, Yellow/red, Black/White, Yellow/Black, Purple, and Purple/White. Idon't know which is which.

well that plug goes to the connection coming from the motor!!!!

one problem WE have is we dont know what year your motor is, and we dont know what year your control is

originally you said you have 6 wires, but only listed purple, gray and black.

but now you are saying you have 6 wires that are the wires that go to the motor!!!

do you in fact ALSO have seperate purple, black and gray wires coming from your control box??

is the control a used control you bought??

they made many different controls,

what usually happens is the harness from the motor comes up and plugs into the control..old style was big rd plug to big red plug, then the control had some drop off wires OR plugs that went tovarious things...tiltn trim and gauges being some things.

the wiring after 1996 has individual plug ends of various sizes and shapes that connected to similar connectors on your post 1996 control!! ( see they have to mate!!)

you cant mix and match (unless you buy the ADAPTER harness)

got a picture of your control??

got a picture of your tach?

you really need to tell us the model number of your motor and what control you have....to help you the best

other wise, tach = grey, black and purple.... and good luck!! ha ha ha

bob

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1998 Evinnrude outboard.... I have a OMC control box for 1995 and older. It has one plug with 6 wires, I don't have the standard Gray, black and purple coming from the controls... the colors that are at the plug are Pink/Blue, Yellow/red, Black/White, Yellow/Black, Purple, and Purple/White. I will try to get pictures tomorrow.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have never seen a pink/blue wire

a 6 wire plug usually means a post 95 control!!

you sure there arent any extra drops off the control besides the one that runs to the motor??

bob