What does the "E" mean in FD-18E?

I have a Johnson seahorse Model # FD-18E. From what little I have read it seems the the E is supposed to be for electric start, but my motor is a pull start so what does the E in the model number mean? Shouldn't my model number just be FD-18??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: What does the "E" mean in FD-18E?

As has been repeated many times, the letter suffix means nothing unless there has been a mid-year engineering change. In that case it is only important if you are ordering the part affected by the change, and the parts book will indicate that.

It so happens there were no changes in the FD-18, so they ALL are FD-18E or FDL-18E (long shaft). You can see the complete parts book at http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Are you sure it's an FD-18E and not an FDE-18? I think an E in the letter portion at that time designated it as having originally been an electric start model...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, your motor is a 1964, if the model number of FD-18 is correct. However, FD-18 and FDL-18 are the only two model numbers posted for that year, so the "E" would have to be posted after the "18" So, like F_R says, it's likely a model that had a minor change and only a small part would be effected by it.