I need to re-thread carb bolt stud

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
One bolt stud that holds the carb on a 1985 Evinrude E8RCOB motor got the threads rounded off on the end. What size should I recut the 1/4"end piece too? Will it hold ok?

I took the intake manifold off to make it easier to work on.

It would cost $25-50 to have the bolt replaced.
Thanks.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I need to re-thread carb bolt stud

If it's that bad that you can't use a thread chaser or die on it to restore the threads, grab onto it with a vise-grip, turn the stud out and get a new one at the hardware store, car parts store, ect.

If it doesnt want to come out, try a VERY GENTLE warming of the area around the stud with a plumbers torch. The key words here are "VERY GENTLE" it does not take too much heat to make a puddle. Possible tap lightly on the end or the stud while applying pressure to the vise grip, also.

It went in there, it has to come out.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Be careful with those studs. The parts diagram for the intake manifold does not show them as replaceable, and they may be pressed in. The manifold is listed as no longer available, so if you break the manifold you may be SOL.
convert

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

What is the puddle material and wouldn't it need to be replaced to prevent leakage?

There seems to be enough stud left to cut to the next size smaller. A nut which fits a 3/8" wrench looks too small.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

It would cost $25-50 to have the bolt replaced.
Thanks.

Great deals like that are few and far between.
If you think through the end results and hassle of an "oooops" on this one, you'll jump on it.

My 2 cents....;)

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

The "puddle" material would be the aluminum intake manifold. If they are shown as not replaceable, I retract my earlier post.

jonesg

Admiral

Try using a die to restore the thread, then use a nylon insert locnut instead of a regular nut.

A die will cut threads but it won't turn down the diameter.

I would consider letting a machine shop do it.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

I tried to re-cut them but used the original nut before you mentioned the nylon lock nut and they stripped out again.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I tried to re-cut them but used the original nut before you mentioned the nylon lock nut and they stripped out again.

The original nut will not "recut" the thread. You need a die of the right size.
The nylon nut would not have done it either.
I am sure that the poster who mentioned the ny-loc nut meant that it would compensate for the reduced amount of thread engagement.

You said originally that only one was stripped....are they both stripped now?

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

Just one is stripped. What size die?

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

Use the Die thats is the same as the good stud....same thread count also...
Here is something that may work also...

A buddy of mine stripped a stud that was pressed in..He took JB weld and did a lite coat over the stripped stud...let it cure for 24 hours and then ran a die over it ..it did cut in new threads...

Now this has been 5 years and still holding up.....

Also NAPA sells a little die set made by K&D tools it looks like a nut but is a die...you use a socket on it to cut the threads...

Al

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have anything to lose by trying JB except having to deal with the starter again. We have a set of those nuts you are talking about but they are the wrong size.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Just one is stripped. What size die?

My guess would be 1/4-20NC, but make sure. Take the nut to a Tool supply house and they will set you up with the right die. As someone said, you can get a die that is designed just for repairing/chasing threads.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

A machinist here in town said he could either rethread it or pull the stud out the front (I thought it was a hex bolt) and replace it. The stud broke off so he will drill and put a heli coil in for about $20.

The JB didn't work and I preferred the same size nuts for strength.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

A machinist here in town said he could either rethread it or pull the stud out the front (I thought it was a hex bolt) and replace it. The stud broke off so he will drill and put a heli coil in for about $20.

The JB didn't work and I preferred the same size nuts for strength.

Run....don't walk!
Best $20- you'll ever spend on that motor... ;)