Johnson 150 Ocean runner problem

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson 150 Ocean runner problem

i am watching this closely as my 95 150 has same symptoms. ran fine till stopped for hot dogs, then all things you said, bog smoke, but mine will run upper rpm if i get started. how do we check primer?

primer would affect all cyl's.

jonesg

Admiral

Forgot to mention that It starts coughing on the port side immediately on start-up with flush muffs or in a 100Gallon test tank. Get a nice billow of blue smoke with that cough coming thru the port side exhaust relief. Does not spit back or cough at the front of the carbs.

Optical ignition, yeh I have the same design.
Theres still a bit more troubleshooting you can try.

Not sure if you did this yet,
Unplug the main harness plug near the starter, jump the starter to crank the engine and see if spark returns to port side.

Disconnect the shift switch and jump starter.

Disconnect the 5-pin connector on the port side of the power pack and see if the spark returns. If it does, use the fluke meter set to ohms and see if the black/yellow or black/orange wire is shorted to engine ground.

You might try swapping the primary wires to the coils from port to starboard just to see if the problem follows the circuit. Thats to say, swap primary wire from port coil to starboard side and see if it drops spark on the starboard side now. The wires should just reach, all plugs out of course.:)

Some decent info here,
http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcoisignition.html

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Did every trick in the book but will try again as you suggested. Will look for some bullet style connectors and splice in these connectors to the stator leads and swap sides with the charge coils/power pack see if it moves to starboard.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Spliced in bullet connectors on the stator wires and swapped stator pair connections to the pack and now get a good continous strong spark on port side cyl 2,4,& 6 and weak intermittent/no spark on starboard side cyl 1,3,& 5. My pack is good to go but looks like my stator is going to be on its way out.

jonesg

Admiral

The DVA will prove it, a visual inspection isn't easy due to the design .
You might get lucky and find a pinched stator wire .

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Problem moved to starboard side intermittent spark and sometime no-spark while port side has continual sparking .Verified it Started it up in a tub and saw coughing out the starboard side. Oh well, I could kick my self for being so cheap not to buy a spark plug tester in the first place. Will have to replace and post back.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

One of the pics shows a circuit that I made to set the timing on this style engine and it works great but does not tell you if you got a bad optic sensor . The other pic is of the guts of the stator and its companion flywheel.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral

Is there any visual damage to the stator? like melted insulation potting ?
Too bad you didn't wire up your own DVA, mine took less than an hour to solder up from ratshack parts. Its just a capacitor, resistor and a diode in a box with plugs. One of the guys here drew it up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

I have seen this schematic for this circuit on-line. I guess I could have made one. I will megger test this stator next for the heck of it. I don't think there could be anything else since there is not much left ignition wise.. The flywheel is in good condition magnets ok and riveted on. New power pack. New optic sensor. Replaced one ignition coil. Some of the wires on the stator looked pinched to the casing but those were the power coil leads. I did not see any kind of soot from arcing on those leads nor burnt thru insulation. Looked under a 10x scope could not find anything unusual . Chances are good that the internal windings insulation(varnish) in the port side charge coil is breaking down and these windings are hidden from view and encased.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Here is the stator again but I have broke down in detail the parts of the stator for this type of engine. Others very similar. I would like to change out just this charge coil and put in a new one but no can do. What a waste.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you check the lanyard kill switch? I still am watching this as have not got my 95 150 Rude straightened out. Mine starts and runs on the pipe, anytime. drop in the water and may or may not smoke, sputter chough wheeze........all symptoms you describe. Also after hard starting it will run fine, just don't idle too long.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry did not post sooner . No, did not check lanyard switch. Here are the readings with DVA adapter connected to my fluke meter: Stator output cranking charge coils Starboard/port 208/140. Power pack run test: #1 205, #2 208, #3 203, #4 208, #5 205, #6 210. Power pack crank test: #1 175, #2 130, #3 175, #4 125, #5 175, #6 128. Im getting a 50+ volt drop .

atilla

Recruit

I'm having a similar issue on the same motor, my top two cylinders are dead...trouble shooting.

jonesg

Admiral

I'm having a similar issue on the same motor, my top two cylinders are dead...trouble shooting.

Start a thread with the yr hp and model number, can't help without proper info.

jonesg

Admiral

Sorry did not post sooner . No, did not check lanyard switch. Here are the readings with DVA adapter connected to my fluke meter: Stator output cranking charge coils Starboard/port 208/140. Power pack run test: #1 205, #2 208, #3 203, #4 208, #5 205, #6 210. Power pack crank test: #1 175, #2 130, #3 175, #4 125, #5 175, #6 128. Im getting a 50+ volt drop .

If you're commited to buying a new stator, you might try unwrapping the coil on the bad one, I don't see why they can't be re-wound.
I've had elec motors rewound.
They bake them in an oven to remove the insulation then strip the wire off.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Hey JonesG I did try calling several places about a rewind/rebuild but they all turned me down they don't do that sorta thing. I'm not really up rewinding it myself since I already killed alot of time troubleshooting this motor half-assed without the proper test equipment. I just want to get back on the water and chase those eyes. I think I'm going to try out the CDI stator their version is supposed to be better at dissipating heat. Hey bro thanks for putting me back on the right track with the spark gap tester and you know your stuff very well sir . Word to the wise if your going to troubleshoot your outboard ignition system you MUST use the tools your manual recommends otherwise you could be wasting money on unnecessary parts. I gonna call this stator as being bad by the voltage imbalance on the charge coils as I cannot find the wiring to be faulty.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

If your 2 top cylinders are adjacent to each other check your top ignition coil.

Ozerimar

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to share my bad experience with an online merchant with other boaters on here as a warning. I ordered a new stator from marineengine.com and this thing arrives with rust on the bobbin pole pieces not only that but the packard connector wont plug in to the power pack no matter what and the worst thing of all is the damn yellow regulator wire is routed the wrong way and in the way of the mounting hole that the screw passes thru. I am waiting for a refund they tell me a different company is handling the situation and can take a couple of months WTF?? Here is the pic of it. Pure junk !!!!!

Attachments

• valdiqwwe 002.jpg
    valdiqwwe 002.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

They probably work with an expediter, you order, they call someone else and it gets drop-shipped. Thats how they keep prices down and can offer greater variety, just so you know.. its not a scam.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Just wanted to share my bad experience with an online merchant with other boaters on here as a warning. I ordered a new stator from marineengine.com and this thing arrives with rust on the bobbin pole pieces not only that but the packard connector wont plug in to the power pack no matter what and the worst thing of all is the damn yellow regulator wire is routed the wrong way and in the way of the mounting hole that the screw passes thru. I am waiting for a refund they tell me a different company is handling the situation and can take a couple of months WTF?? Here is the pic of it. Pure junk !!!!!

Jonesg is right on that... they use west coast suppliers even though they are in VT. I ordered some thing a while back from them. i thought I would get them in a few days.. took almost 9 days to get them and the UPS tracking stated they were shipped from Washington State. Depend on where the supplier is, will determine shipping and other warranty type stuff. I do think howevr that theyshould manage all of that for you...