86 Johnson 15hp how to install lanyard (MOB) kill switch?

saaber1

Cadet
I'm trying ot figure out how to install a lanyard-pull kill switch. Engine has the kill switch on the end of the handle with no lanyard switch as shown below.

Are their any DIYs out there to do this? Or if someone can explain what wires to connect to with a universal lanyard switch I can probably figure out how to rig it up. I don't know what wires to connect to though. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

There are two wires coming out I assume from the existing kill switch. Can I just splice into those or?
IMG_3704.jpg

also some related pics
198615Evinrudekillswitch.jpg

handle.jpg

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 86 Johnson 15hp how to install lanyard (MOB) kill switch?

looks like an easy parts sawp ...this from a 1990 15 hp

kx6xk.png

bob

saaber1

Cadet

Interesting. Looks like an 87-90 might fit. I will call local marina to see if they have any parts motors laying around...

handle2.jpg

saaber1

Cadet

These are only about $10 and seems easier than chasing down the inside handle part. Does anyone know how to wire this switch? I have two grey wires as shown above. Thanks for any help!

switch.jpg

Rick.

Captain

Wire it so the switch is normally open with the lanyard in place. I have purchased a few kill switches for the 9.9 and 15 from a company called Sea-Dog - Universal Kill Switch which has two sets of contacts already to wire up. A n/o and a n/c. They fit nicely into the same hole as the factory manual kill switch on the face of the cowling. Best of luck. Rick.

ToniH

Cadet

Hi guys,

Sorry, I must be dense but I didn't understand how to wire the switch from abobe so I am basically asking the same thing the OP asked.

I have a Johnson 15 '89 and I swapped from remote control to handle control (original type 3 handle for this motor) but I could not figure out where to connect the lanyard kill swich wires. :confused:

Any for dummies -level tips are appreciated. Thank you.

ToniH

Cadet

OK, found more threads about this, seems like a common question so sorry about asking it again.

So the black/yellow is the correct wire? Do I just splice one of the lanyard switch wires to it? And connect other one to ground: Is there a common ground spot or do I choose any screw on the engine block?

Rick.

Captain

You should have a pair of wires that would go to the kill switch. One is grounded and the other goes, I think, under the flywheel to the coils. I know my ground went to the power pack mount bolt. Best of luck. Rick.