Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

dual outboard motors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual outboard motors

does anybody have any info about having two outboard motors. I have a 85 16foot larson boat with a 60hp johnson outboard, well i picked up and identical outboard motor and i want to mount both on myboat, the original manual for the boat i have talks very little about the dual motors but it does seem like the boat can have them. so anyway any help would be great thanks

Re: dual outboard motors

To me, having twins on the back of a 16 foot would look odd, but hey, go for it. I would sell both and upgrade to one big motor if it was me.

Comment

Does the manual for your boat tell you the max HP you can put on it ??
      2 X 60hp will be heavier than 1 X 120hp motor and will give lesser performance than a single 120hp.
      However if the manufacturer states in your manual that you can do it then go for it.
      I am assuming that both motors rotate the same way as well ???
      Have you considered the controls yet ??
      sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

I used to see a small Hydrodyne with twin two-cylinder 50 Johnsons on it. Ran pretty well as I recall. The biggest thing you will need to check will be the side to side engine clearance and the narrow profile of the 60 should work out ok. Also, when you mount the engines the the right and left of the boat centerline, that will affect the mounting position (height)on the transom. Most transoms are made for one engine- in the center. You may have to raise each so that they cut through the water at the right height. Unlikely that the 60 comes in a counter-rotation model, so you will have some big time torque steer to wrestle with unless you go with a hydraulic steering. An interesting project. Good luck.

Comment

It's do-able and a lot of fun...especially with the older iron. I run two late 50's OMC Big Twin 35 hp's on a 15-foot early 60's tinny runabout. Had to move the gas tank forward to balance the boat...shorter boats get stern heavy when running twins, batteries, fuel tanks etc. back there. It's fun, but more work. Plan to pull the twins next spring and put an 64 Evinrude V4 60 hp on there and compare performance. Should save me almost 30 pounds on the transom. Might try to find a boat almost the same length as yours with twins and see if you can wrangle a ride/drive...to see if you like it well enough to do it.

Comment

Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

I way if you want to do it, DO IT.
              I think they look cool. And its something that not everyone has. As far as the worse fuel economy, who cares. Its COOL!!!!
              2011 Triton 190 Escape SE 150 Mercury Pro XS

I never learned much from winning, but always learn from failure.
              Semper Fi

Comment

Here's a picture of a Mirror Craft Ski n Troll 16 that I modified from the brochure picture. In the brochure it had a single 65 horse, but I thought that was boring. Since the boat is rated for 80 horses I decided to throw dual 40s on the back. After I did it I realized they were 25s, not 40s. The look would be very similar anyway.
                Attached Files
                Cam Milne

1950 Johnson 5 - TN-26
                1955 Elto 5 (Gale 5 based) - 5D11E
                1956 Eatons Viking 5 (Gale 5 based, incomplete) - 5D12V
                1958 Johnson 7 - AD-12
                1967 Johnson 9 - MQ-13
                1971 Evinrude Yachtwin 4 - 4136D
                1976 Johnson 15 - 15R76

- all from freshwater and built in Peterborough

"None of us is as smart as all of us"

Comment