what is loop charged?

elpayin

Cadet
hi,
i have a 50 hp evinrude that i think i`ts a 1981 (model e50belcic) in which a`m working right now on the lower unit because when i checked the oil there was water and some metal particles in it so i just got the lower unit off and before a i continued, i decided to check on some parts that i might need but i run across this thing about "loop charged small" and "loop charged large"
so,PLEASE can you tell me what is "loop charged"? and if my motor is one of them "loop charged" large or small?
also, can you tell me what you think it`s wrong with the motor before i proceed and what parts i might need?
all u`r help will be greatly apreciated.
thank you.
Elpayin.

one more, is it a long or short shaft?

elpayin

Cadet
Re: what is loop charged?

now!
i`ve got a little better understanding about loop charged and cross flow but my main question is, does it makes a difference when you order parts for the lower unit like, bearings,gaskets,o rings etc? and how can i find out exactly if my motor is loop charged or cross flow?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Order parts for your year and model ... loop vs cross flow won't make any difference.

jonesg

Admiral

its 1981, all you need to order parts is the model number, as long as its the original gearbox I guess.

Google your model number, all sorts of info pops up.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your motor is loop charged. A good explanation with graphics can be found here: http://www.maxrules.com/fixtheory2.html

There are two gearcases listed under your model: one for manual start and one for electric start. One is probably small gearcase and the other large.

Since your model number indicates that it started life as a long shaft electric start, the original drive is probably the one shown in the parts catalogs for your motor as electric start.

http://shop.evinrude.com/

Attachments

• omc_1980_1998.JPG
    omc_1980_1998.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

elpayin

Cadet

thank you very much guys! for your very good info and advice i should be able to order the right parts and keep going into the next step rebuilding my lower unit and, keep up the good work!
because thanks to people like you is posible that people LIKE ME keep on boating without spending a fortune in repairs.
thanks again and i`m prety sure i`ll be back with more questions if you don`t mind.

elpayin.

moses lake wa
there`s no better place for fishing.