30 HP Evinrude Compression Issues

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,
First time on the forum.
Can anyone tell me what the "cold" Compression of my 30HP evinrude should be?? I checked it cold (Both plugs removed) and I get 60ish# on both. I added a little Heavy oil and it went to 90#
Also- Can the rings be stuck on a motor that has been run fairly regularly?:confused:
It's a 1987

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 30 HP Evinrude Compression Issues

There won't be alot of difference between hot, and cold, but using oil in the cylinder will make the readings' very unreliable. Not all guages will read the same, even the so called best brand's. If you can, run the engine to clean out the oil, and test again.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

welcome to the forum, did you use a screw in tester, turn motor over 5 revolutions on each cylinder?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Its good your readings are even.
100 psi is considered ideal minimum but smaller motors usually produce less
hand cranking less.No reason a good decarb wouldn't help and a motor will perform ok on lower pressures.

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, I'm sorry I did not respond yesterday, but I lost the connection to the forum and could not get back on til now.:)

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

To answer Tashasdaddy,
Yes I used a screw in tester, both plugs out, with fully charged battery, turned motor over for about 3-4 sec. consistent 61-60lbs on both. I have heard alot about de-carbing, but can the rings stick in a motor that gets used fairly often or are the rings and cylinders just worn?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It's not uncommon to find two testers that can be 15#, or more out of agreement. These testers have a stem, or shrader valve. Change the stem, and I would bet your readings will change. I use these guages of course, but I don't take them as a last word. I have been mislead to many times by those things. If your engine is in proper adjustment, it will probable run fine. If any question, pull the head off.

jbjennings

Captain

Will the motor run? Idle? If it idles and your compression readings are even, it's likely your gauge is wrong and your motor is fine, as was said. THey're notorious for being wrong. If your motor actually has only 60 lbs on each cylinder, it probably won't run and is probably totally worn out or burned up. ---being totally worn out is rare! It should have about 125lbs. on each cylinder.
JMO,
JBJ​

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys,
I know what you are saying about the gauges not being accurate but like I said early, with oil added to the cylinders I showed a marked increase in compression(30+ PSI). I'm going to try the de-carb.

The motor does run, but is very cold blooded.(hard to get started for the first time, but runs fine after it warms-up) It will idle, but a fast idle not slow.

tashasdaddy

"The motor does run, but is very cold blooded.(hard to get started for the first time, but runs fine after it warms-up) It will idle, but a fast idle not slow." all signs of the present low compression.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Poor idle can sometimes be traced to bad crank seals as well.Idle should be in the 700 rpm range.Too fast can cause premature clutch dog problems.

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

Should be my last post on this, I lapped the head and did a de-carb. The motor ran great, seems to have fixed the idla problem as well.
I would like to thank everyone for the help.

McGvr

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

Update: Final Results.

1)Compression went from 60PSI Both to +/-125 PSI
2)Engine Cooling much better(More and Cleaner water coming out of the motor)
[I'm assuming that exhaust was getting past the head gasket into water jacket]
3) Motor will Idle at slow Speed.(very slow, just a little "bucking")
(not quite as smooth as I think it should, Probably need to clean the Carb.)

When all is said and done, I'm not sure if it was the De-carb or lapping the head, that was the real fix. I kinda think it was a combination of both.

Anyway it's running GREAT, Thanks for all your help.
McG: D

tashasdaddy

you have a adjustable slow speed needle, follow these directions, they're great

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.
-------------------

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Tash,
The butterfly in the carb is completely closed and the motor is idling very slow.
I have adjusted all the of the timing linkage and adjusted the carb per the book. (I liked your instructions better) The final adjustment ended up around 1 1/4 turns from the seat.
I'm happy with the speed, I just think it could be a little smoother ( it's kinda got the old motor shake, not violent, just not smooth, and the occasional pop)
I bought the motor used a few years ago and have never cleaned the carb.
I think cleaning the carb might be the ticket

Again I like your instructions, I think I'll print them for later

McG