Will a cotter pin work as a shear pin?

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Will a cotter pin work as a shear pin?

I just went out and removed my propeller. First I pulled the cotter pin. Then I removed the plastic cup that screws onto the shaft that has the hole to line up with the hole for the cotter pin to past thru. Then I pulled my propeler off. My propeller has a part number of 386955 and it is a two bladed 8 X 7. Looking from the back of it there is one what looks to be a brass sleeve that passes thru the center hole of the propeller and extends all the way thru. On the other side, (the side that goes onto the shaft first is a larger brass looking piece that has the notch for the drive pin to rest against and thats it. And that brass piece fits into the propeller and rests against the sleeve. Sorry FR but there is no rubber nothing anywhere in there. Neither is there anything on the shaft all the way to where the propeller meets the lower leg. It all fits snug.. Does not give me reason that I'm missing something.
Fishermanms

iwombat

Captain

The rubber shock bushing F_R is talking about is the between the propeller's inner hub and the outer hub. It's an integral part of the propeller, and only a prop shop can remove and replace it.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Oh for crisssakes..its a simple pin made out of Stainless so the SOB don't rust/corrode in the SS shaft...then you would never get the pieces out of the SS shaft (need I slap ya upside the head on dis-similar metals in water?..'specially if used in salt?)
Little common sense goes a long way..so does a nail, but the pin, availble if 8,000,000 dealers is SO damn simple..:rolleyes:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

cotter pins are made from brass .

That does it..21 years Pro Machinist..NEVER seen a brass Cotter that aint special order
....insanity prevails, and I'm gone to the boat in the slip and take a nap..

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Fishermans, the reason you can't find a rubber hub is because you can't see it without removing the brass center hub from the propeller. The rubber is a do-nut like thing between the brass and the aluminum propeller. I used to have a propeller that I sawed in half to show people that there is indeed a rubber hub in there. Maybe it's time to saw another one in half and take a picture.

Trust me, I do know what I am talking about.....On this one anyway.

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK... So much for the "shear pin caper". I have ordered 30 new drive pins part number 307949. I decided since they are so inexpensive I might as well get my money's worth outa the $12.85 shipping fee and order plenty. I apologise for any remarks I've made taken offensively. Never meant to make a such a big deal outa this thread. I just wanted to know if there was a simple way to make one to get me by. I do have enough horse sense to know whats gonna rust or what wont. Everything on that bottom end under water exposed to water is mostly brass, aluminum and stainless steel. Saw my prop in half :eek: NO WAY!!!... I trust what FR and IWOMBAT has said. They done helped me out on this lil 6hp a bunch and have proved to me that they know their stuff. Scrappy or yappy or dam...cant remember his name...well just go back to sleep. ..... Well everytime I post a thread I get plenty of help and I always learn a lot more than when I first come on here. Really.. I do appreciate it. Thank Ya'll
Fishermanms :)

iwombat

Captain

Nothing you need to apologize for. The kerfuffle was between two (or more) responders.

Opinions are like heads, everyone's got a different one.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My first motor was a 1966 year 6HP Johnson. If it had a rubber hub, I never noticed it. I thought that they replaced the shear pin with the rubber hub but I could be wrong. If the real problem is the hub, why does every one still call them shear pins? ( I am not saying that you are wrong, I just wondered what is going on.)

As far as the shear pin, get the right one. If you have a rubber hub, it won't hurt anything except for a little on your wallet. If you don't and you hit a stump, (or whatever) and the pin is too hard, it could really screw up your entire motor (Both upper and lower parts). Too soft will just be a nuisance and will shear when you don't really don't want to. I used to carry one in my tackle box all the time.

Terry

iwombat

Captain

Shear pin and drive pin, while technically different ,are called by just about everyone by the name "shear pin" - correct or not. For now, let's just call it a "prop pin" and avoid the whole mess of totally correct nomenclature.

Yes, rubber hubs were used in conjunction with "prop pins" right up until they started using thru-prop exhaust. (Still do for smaller ones w/o through prop exhaust).