Power trim and tilt does not work. help please

tudiebird

Cadet
All of a sudden my power trim and tilt does not work. The switch is located on the shifter/throttle. I was on the bay today and my father was driving and he drove up on the sandbar with the motor trimmed fully down. I don't know if that is the cause but I have a feeling it is. The trim does not at all respond to the switch. Does not click or anything. Worked perfectly before. Please someone help!? Where do I start investigating? Also, please reply fully because this is my first boat and I'm new at this. Thanks

ccnstlr

Seaman
Re: Power trim and tilt does not work. help please

Please indicate the year and hp of motor as a minimum. Put the full model number if possible. This will allow users to look at parts and schematics for your particular motor which will help describe what the boxes, plugs, etc. look like.

tudiebird

Cadet

Its a 1980 115 Johnson outboard on a 1979 Tahiti.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

The number needed by members is going to be something on the order of
J115XXXXX, where X is another string of numbers. It will be located on the left of your transom mount looking forward from the rear. It might also be on one of the small freeze-welch plugs on the powerhead on the right side looking forward from the rear. KR

tudiebird

Cadet

I looked and couldn't find that but their is faded away numbers but can not get out what it says.
I just did some investigating and the controls(the throttle and trim) is OMC.
After basically breaking the arm part since it somehow won't come off the main controls I got out the switch. I noticed the trim has 3 wires. A blue,red and green. I followed the wires to a fuse box where their is a cylinder looking thing(sorry, have no clue what it is). I noticed that one wire had a fuse in it so I opened it and the fuse was blown. I replaced it and tried the trim. The down doesn't work at all but when I press up, I hear a clicking at that black cylinder thing. I noticed the up wire is green if that helps. Whats wrong :(?

tudiebird

Cadet

I found that number!!!
Its J115TLCSA

stormin1

Recruit

I just had a similar problem with my trim tilt; it just all of the sudden stopped working while on the water. First thing I noticed were the clicking relays. I replaced the relays but power trim still wasn't working (the new relays also just clicked).
Next step was to take the trim tilt motor off and took it to an electric motor rebuilder which cost me $50 (New trim motor was at least $200 + S&H). Works better now than I ever remember it working. I even put the old relays back in and kept the new ones for back up. The whole ordeal wasn't too expensive and didn't take too much time. I dropped my trim motor off Monday morning & picked up it Friday morning.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The 3 wires in you controls are for up, down and a 3rd live or hot wire. The power will run to both buttons on the control. Usually the live is red, the up is a blue wire "like the sky" and the green is down "like the grass" Easy way to remember it. That "box" thing that you describe is your connection box, and the silver cylinder is the solenoid. If you hear it clicking,that means its working. The fuse should be 20 amp. Now you say your trim doesnt work at all. First thing you do is check the manual release valve. Then rest the motor on the trail locks and check the oil level resevoir. Then determine if electric motor is running. If the trim motor does not run, check battery and connections. Hit the trim up button. Does the solenoid in connection box click? If yes remove motor from manifold. Run motor off manifold. If motor does not run, have it rebuilt or replaced. If the motor runs, check the pump. If the solenoid in connection box does not operate, check the fuse again. Then check switch. Finally check wiring.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

This is a check for the electrical system of the TNT.

1. Make sure battery is FULLY charged.

2. With a voltmeter, connect red lead to point E1 in junction box and meter black lead to point G. Meter should indicate battery voltage.

3. If no voltage is indicated, move meter red lead to poiint E2 on solenoid. If battery voltage is indicated check FUSE in junction box. If no voltage, check red and black leads to battery for poor connection or open circuit. Polish them up, no corrosion, dirt, rust, etc...

DOWN CIRCUIT

1. Move red meter lead to point E3 in junction box, push trim switch in the down position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, test motor.

2. If no voltage is indicated at point E3, move meter red lead to trim switch at point E4 and meter black lead to point G1. Push trim switch in down position. If meter indicates battery voltage, lead is open between point E3 and E4.

3. If no voltage at point E4, move meter red lead to point E5 in trim switch. If battery voltage is indicated, trim switch may be defective.

4. If no voltage is indicated at point E5, check continuity of ground lead from trim gauge G1 to junction box point G. If ground lead is good, move meter red lead to junction box at point E1 and meter black lead to point G on junction box. If battery voltage is indicated, lead is open between E1 and E5.

UP CIRCUIT

1. Connect voltmeter red lead to junction box at point E6 and meter black lead to ground at point G. Push trim switch up. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, test motor.

2. If no voltage is indicated at point E6, move meter red lead to point E7 on solenoid. Push trim switch in up position. If voltage is indicated, blue lead is open between E6 and E7.

3. If no voltage is indicated at E7, move meter red lead to point E8. Push trim switch in up position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, connect meter red lead to point E2 on solenoid. If battery voltage id indicated, solenoid is DEFECTIVE and must be replaced.

4. If no voltage is indicated at point E8 on solenoid, move meter red lead to point E9 and meter black lead to ground at point G1 on trim gauge. Push trim switch in up position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If battery voltage is indicated, lead is open between E8 and E9.

5. If no voltage is indicated at E9, move meter red lead to point E5 on trim switch. If voltage is indicated, switch is defective and must be replaced.

6. If no voltage is indicated at E5, check continuity of ground lead between trim gauge G1 to G in junction box for open circuit.

7. If ground lead is good and no voltage at E5, move meter red lead to E1 in junction box. If voltage is indicated, lead is open between E5 and E1.

TRIM INDICATOR CIRCUIT

1. Connect voltmeter ted lead to point E10 on indicator gauge and black lead to G1 on indicator gauge. If battery voltage is indicated, proceed to step 4.

2. If no voltage indicated at E10, move meter red lead to horn at point E11. Battery voltage indicated lead is open between horn and trim indicator gauge.

3. If no voltage, move meter red lead to point E12 on key switch. Battery voltage should indicate. If no, check key switch. If key switch good, check engine fuse and lead to key switch for open circuit.

4. Disconnect tan/white lead from "S" terminal of trim gauge. Connect ohmmeter to disconnected lead "ohm1" and to G1.

With the motor in the full trim position, ohmmeter should read 82 to 88 ohms. With the motor in full tilt, ohmmeter should read 0 to 10 ohms. If infinite reading check for open circuit between trim gauge "G" terminal and "G" in junction box. Also check for open circuit in tan/white lead with lead disconnected from "S" gauge terminal. Check between "ohm 1" and point "ohm 2" in junction box. Disconnect both black sending unit leads from "ohm2" and "G" terminals. Check for above resistance readings. If not within specs, replace sending unit.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Trim wiring.jpg

This is the wiring diagram that you will need