Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1978? 85 H.P. Evinrude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978? 85 H.P. Evinrude

I just bought a 1978 Procraft bass boat and it has a 85 H.P. Evinrude 1517cc with FirePower ignition, Mod.#85899C, Ser.# J0001254. I need help with a year for sure and oil mix ratio. Any other info about this motor will be appreciated. I'm in the process of getting a service manual but general info will help so I can get ready to start this baby up. It has been setting for awhile so I know I will need to drain all old gas, change filters ect.ect. Thanks for any help.

Re: 1978? 85 H.P. Evinrude

That's a '78 and the oil mix is 50:1

Comment

Yup. That's a 1978 'Rude 85 you have there.

Fuel mix is 50:1
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks alot guy's. How about plug gap so i can set my new plugs. Thanks again.

Comment

Gap your Champion plugs at .030", Fire.

If they aren't Champions, change 'em.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks a million. As soon as it get's spring here in Indiana, I'm gonna get started on this project.

Comment

Well I got this motor started, and noticed water seeping from around the heads and the cover between the heads. It had plenty of water comming from the pee hole. I'm gonna order a manual this week but is it very hard to change these gaskets and do I risk any damage running this motor with the water leaking? Thanks.

Comment

#1 No, it's not hard.

#2 If water is leaking into the head, you risk pretty serious damage.

Comment

Thanks, I'm gonna get the manual ordered tomorrow. Do you use gaskets from NAPA or should I go with a dealer?

Comment

318662 OMC part number NAPA wont have it.

Comment

Working...
                    X