1979 Johnson 115

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1979 Johnson 115 running real good on a portable tank, switched it over to the
inboard tank that I had put some mixed gas in, and the motor fell on it's face.
Hooked up the portable and it came back to life. So I found another tank hose
and primer bulb, stuck it into the main tank and drained out almost 4 gallons of
stinky nasty looking gas. Hopfully I got most of whatever was in the tank. Going
to put something, Heet, seafoam, or something else into the tank then put a couple of gallons
of mix in, and see if it will run.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With the internal tank completely empty, water seperating fuel filter needs to be added/replaced and cycle the fuel back into the tank until clean fuel shows up.

If the fuel is very dirty with particles in it after clean fuel is added with an empty tank, temporarily install an in-line filter before the water separating filter until it is purged of junk.

A portable tank is convenient when needed in emergencies, but if the internal tank is in good condition, it needs to be cleaned, serviced, and used.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks guys, using my cell phone, I shot a video down into the tank after draining. looks clean. I'm going to mix up 5 gals and some sea foam and let it sit for a day. also going to add a filter before motor. I'll fire it up Saturday. enjoy the 4th.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Didn't do anything but put mix and some HEET into main tank, temps in the 90's, boat in the sun, staying indoors. I did hook the main tank to the motor with a new fuel line and primer bulb. I'll fire it up tomorrow.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
wouldn't fire on main tank, hooked the portable back up and it fired right up, question, with an on board tank will it have a fuel pump, there is wires running to something on the top of the tank but I'm guessing it's the fuel guage, as it does have one. If this weather ever lets up I'm going to take the pickup tube out of the tank, if there is one, and see if it needs anything, later..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The same fuel pump for the 5 gallon tank or the on board tank.------Had a few conversations with the cousin the other day.---His V-4 Johnson would not start.-------Primer bulb would not work.-----New primer bulb would not work.---I then suggested he put more fuel into the on board tank.----He said the gauge shows 2/3 full.-----After adding fuel to the on board tank his motor started right up !

James R

Commander
Had a problem with a 79 Mark Twain with on board Aluminum tank. When I bought the boat it was a derelict, no motor no seats etc but a good hull. Fitted a like new 140 Suzuki and put fuel in the tank, did not fill it. Ran great. Got a little ambitious and filled the tank Ran for a while then pop pop bang splutter and died. I figured that old fuel that had been in the tank deposited shelac on the sides of the tank as it evaporated. Used a high pressure air driven pump to pump out the fuel into buckets covered with several layers of panty hose. Sho nuff the panty hose trapped the brown crud particles. I pumped the fuel back into the tank in high pressure mode to try to wash the shelac off the walls and after several flushes succeeded in getting clean fuel out. I fitted a good water trap filter and and during the past several years I have never had a problem. I put this down largely to my constant use of Marine Stabil in the fuel. incidentally I recently sold the boat which had been sitting for about three years and she fired right up with no issues. I suppose we can credit Suzuki and Stabil for that.
Hope this of help and encouragement.
Oh by the way this is one situation where smoking will most likely kill you.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was thinking the same thing today about putting more fuel into the tank. I'm guessing the tank is about 20gals. I got 5 gallons for my lawn mower the other day, I'll put some mix in it, dump it into the tank, that should give it about 1/2 full, I remembered from this morning my primer bulb wasn't getting real tight, just real spoungy, still hot out. I'll wait till tonight when the sun sets and try it again. Thanks.............later.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sun set early tonight, had to try what racerone said about putting more fuel in it. After putting more fuel in, the primer bulb still didn't get hard, so I put the fuel line from the six gallon on it, and the primer bulb got tight, hit the key, it fired and I let it run for about 5 minutes without any hiccups. racerone thx for the tip on more fuel, I'm buying when we meet...........later.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
gave it a test flight monday, and after crawling through 2 miles of no wake zone, I opened it up, it came up on plane nice and fast, ran like that for about a hundred yards, then fell on its face. started it back up, ran it up again did the same thing. Acts like it was starving for gas. Got back to the dock ok as it idles forever, got it on the trailer, and looked around and found the gas line kinked at the tank fitting. going to get a new gas line, the same that was on the boat when I got it, seems the way it was routed under the splash pan, the gas line can't kink, I'll take it out again and try it with the portable tank that I left home, making sure there's no kinks........................later.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine runs like a Swiss watch, thanks everyone that commented, you're a great bunch.......later