Evinrude 115hp

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
only getting spark down cylinder left hand side other side no spark, i tested the stator ohms reading it was below minimum
spec.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is this a 1968 racing model ----1970 / 1977 / 1990 / 1995 / 2005 / or what.----Post the model #

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
its a 1982 long shaft [h=1]1982 Evinrude E115TLCNB 115hp[/h] i swapped out one of the coils packs , =new , swapped the cdi box on cylinders that have no fire, was a good working used unit= nothing, then i got a used working stator good ohms readings either side, the old one i pulled off did have some burn marks and drippage but i think it still worked, the side with no spark the old stator had just below minimum spec ohms reading 375 if i recall the specs are 450 to 570 or something on CDI pdf.

i have ordered a working used timber base still to come i was hoping this would have cured it...

what can it be..pissing me off?

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the cylinders on other side running like a champ strong spark with tester.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
wow i installed the stator and trigger base still nothing, to my amazement there's a red wire disconnected from bus bar on side any idea guys, am no expert here ..

continuity? the spark plug boots>?

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
also keep in mind i installed a working used cdi box as well and brand new coil to the side that has no fire...as well.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Swapping parts with no positive results gets expensive and is frustrating.----Time to take some ohm readings on all the parts involved with ignition.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
wow i installed the stator and trigger base still nothing, to my amazement there's a red wire disconnected from bus bar on side any idea guys, am no expert here ..

continuity? the spark plug boots>?

wire connector in a boot through to the connector in the other boot(!)

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
whats the device i need to read voltages while ignition is on ..high power?
connects to the digital multimeter right..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The flywheel must turn fast in order for ignition to work.----The system does not use 12 volts from the battery to make spark.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thats it a DVA direct voltage adaptor so i can read live readings on meter safely.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
any ideas guys what this red wire would be disconnected will take a pic it was taped off.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
also it cant be the magnets on flywheel, if one side is firing strong with spark?. i think the magnets are bolted on this flywheel..

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
also it cant be the magnets on flywheel, if one side is firing strong with spark?. i think the magnets are bolted on this flywheel..

Might I suggest you buy the factory service manual and go through the steps.

As Racerone pointed out, you are making expensive guesses, not diagnosing.

Unless you have clear data that points to the next step in diagnosing in the steps outlined, you don't go any further and you certainly do NOT throw parts at it.

Only when you have diagnostic data that clearly identifies it as bad do we consider replacing it.

How outboard ignition works... Stator gets the charge for both the charging system and the ignition system. We are focused on the ignition system part.

With the stator creating the energy for the ignition, the timer base creates the voltage trigger pulse to the appropriate power pack for the cylinder coil to fire with the charge from the stator. The power pack directs the energy to the coil and the spark occurs.

You have one side not getting any fire/voltage.

What are the two possible outcomes of that?

1. Insufficient voltage/no voltage from stator on the wire to THAT particular power pack. (One pair of wires from stator to EACH power pack)

2. timer base voltage issue where the power pack is not getting the signal to fire

You've already swapped power packs and the issue stays with that side, so there's no point in going down that rabbit hole.

Check the stator from each pair of the wires going from the stator to the power packs per service manual regarding Ohms and a short circuit test. If that comes out as good, do a DVA voltage test of each to verify that is within spec.

If both are within spec, that clearly identifies a problem with the timer pickup the trigger of those two cylinders. Why, you'll have to dig deeper.

That can be identified by doing a DVA test on the timer base wires that apply to the cylinders going to that particular power pack.

If you don't get the specified voltage required, there's a problem between the timer base and the flywheel magnets.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i will start go through all the ohm readings again

starting with stator i did check it prior to installing it , but no harm restarting

ok what would this red wire be that was disconnected?