Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1975 Evinrude 75 hp. Water in all three cylinders??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 Evinrude 75 hp. Water in all three cylinders??

I just acquired a 75 hp Evinrude. In doing the initial assessment and preparing to do a compression test, We found a lot of grey oil in the cylinders. Turning it over without the plugs blew tons of oily junk out all over the place. We cranked it over until most of it stopped and then tried doing a compression test. The tests were anywhere from 150 psi to over 180.

I don’tthought about getting it running to burn off some of the oil inside and do another round of compression tests.

The motor would not fire and in inspecting the plugs again we found there was a lot more wet greyish oil on all plugs and dribbling out of the plug holes.

Because we had the muffs on, we are wondering if this is water mixing with the fuel and oil.

Any thoughts on what I should check next? Pull the head?

Either head gasket or exhaust cover gaskets. My bet is on the exhaust cover. Get that motor running immediately to blow the water out, even if without muffs. If it sits with water in it, it is goodbye bearings. Maybe too late already.

Comment

My brother thought exhaust gasket also. Not looking good

Comment

These motors have an oil recirculation system.---That would put water from the bottom cylinder up to the top bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by racerone View Post
          These motors have an oil recirculation system.---That would put water from the bottom cylinder up to the top bearing.
          So what you’re saying is I’ve got water in the Crankcase right now?

Comment

Absolutely. Those exhaust covers are notorious for warping and leaking, especially if it has been run overheated.

Comment

There is a possibility that water is in the crankcase.-----All over the bearings / rods / journals.------That is not good for these motors.------But from a 1000 miles away we can not inspect / repair this for you.---We can only go by the information as presented.

Comment

Thank you, I will try to pull the inspection cover and head off of it tomorrow. Will likely have photos and more questions

Comment

Not looking good - Grey watery oil in all three.

I couldn't get the exhaust cover off, do I have to pull the powerhead? The darn lower shroud is in the way.

I'm assuming that what I'm seeing means this powerhead is doomed at this point? Especially if the oil recirculation feature means there's water in the crank case. I'm holding on to a shred of hope here.. But this motor was aquired late last year and has sat since then. I'd have to think that this motor developed this problem back then as the goo was inside when I did a compression check .There was no muffs on then. I thought it might start and burn off the oil. (I figued the oil was that the seller may have sprayed inside to keep from rusting.)

Thanks in advance

Comment

bump...parts motor or could it be brought back from the brink without a major rebuild?

I still dont know what the compression was. We were getting 150-180-150 WET. I can assume it will be substantially less dry

Comment

Working...
                    X