1988 Evinrude 14 HP SPL - HELP

Moboater33

Cadet
I have a 1988 Evinrude 14 HP SPL that won’t run after the winter. Last year I had the motor running perfect, would start after one or two pulls no problem. I didn’t do anything to winterize the motor just left it on the boat in my garage, roughly 5-6 months. For the past week I have been trying to get it started. I rebuilt the carb and the fuel pump, the water pump was rebuilt last year as well as the engine tuned in my garage.

I had also left the motor in a large bucket with water in it for a couple days and a brown gooey ish liquid started to seep out of the lower unit.

I also had sprayed starter fluid directly through where the spark plugs are into the engine which occasionally resulted in the engine starting up and running normal, even starting back up after a pull 20 minutes later multiple times. Some times though the motor would just start and run for 1-15 seconds before dying off, running at the same rickety idle whether I twisted the throttle or not. I inferred from this that the carb or fuel pump was gunked up and wasn’t letting fuel through, thinking that the starter fluid starting the engine was just sucking the fuel, giving it a jump and hopefully cleaning the lines. Seems to be not the case since I cleaned the carb and fuel pump.

Does anyone have any suggestions or a diagnostic for me?

(Not related to me spraying starter fluid directly through the spark plug holes)

- Thanks