Re-building a 1980 Johnson V4 140hp crossflow

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
So rebuilding I’m rebuilding a 1980 Johnson V4 140 crossflow.
Engine Model J140TLCSA
Engine has been honed new pistons ect and worked on the flow path.

The engine had been assembled had a problem so stripped and the rebuild is on the cards for this week.

I have the following to help with the assembly.

ARP Ultra Torque Fastener Assembly Lube to use a long with Loctite 271 for crank case bolts.
For all bearings and bearing surfaces, Liqui Moly LM48 Installation paste,
For joining of the crank case halves, Permatex 82180 'Ultra' Black RTV Gasket Maker
All fasteners are new and will be fitted with ARP Ultra Torque Fastener Assembly Lube to use a long with Loctite 271.
Gasket will have a very fine film of Permatex 80019 Aviation Form-a-gasket
All external linkage will have Granville Marine White Grease around them.

Can I use the Loctite alongside the ARP Ultra ????

I’m not sure if the Loctite may have a reaction with the ARP (Will test on a fastener before install)

I will use Permetex 82180 “Ultra” rather than the Loctite 510 that I used in the first build for the crank case halves.
I have a feeling this was the cause of the crankcase not sealing 100% on the build and caused a blowout from the crankcase halves which destroyed a brand new set of composite reeds.
Plus I don’t think I had the timing set up properly but it ran for a second or two then went bang, will double double check timing ect ect.

Consumables for rebuild include
ARP Ultra Torque Fastener Assembly Lube Lubricant
Loctite 271 Thread locker High strength
Liqui Moly LM48 Installation paste
omc triple guard grease
Granville Marine Boat Stern Tubes Bearings Water Repellent White Grease
Permatex 82180 'Ultra' Black RTV Gasket Maker
Permatex 80019 Aviation Form-a-gasket

Is there anything thing I should use that is not on the list???

Any recommendation for the big end and wrist pin needle bearing grease would OMC triple guard grease be up to it or would the Liqui Moly LM48 be a better choice ????

Is the Liqui Moly up to the job?

Along with all of the above I will be using a premium 2 stroke oil on ALL parts to lube up before first start.
Also on first start she will be on 25/1 premix.

I just want this build to be 100% Perfect.
Hope you can give me a few pointers on this ??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Do not use silicon to seal crankcase halves….Use the Loctite 510 with primer/activator, if you did not use primer it will take up to 72 hour to cure.Do not use Triple guard on any bearings(tells ya on tube) or that Molly 48...use transmission assembly lube, vasoline or needle brg grease(378642) encased roller bearings get 2 stroke oil ...Do not use Loctite 271 on rod bolts..