Improving performance of johnson 55hp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving performance of johnson 55hp

What can i do to gain a few mph and maybe better fuel economy? The obvious answer ive been considering is re-power with a larger engine but my local market hasn't given me any leads.

Im considering doing a re-ring, hone, all new gaskets and shave the head some. compression was kinda low at 105-110 psi last i checked it.

Model # of your motor ?

Comment

55el77D

Comment

Ain't going to happen. Even if you were to succeed in getting a couple miles per hour, you wouldn't be able to tell without a GPS or radar gun.

EDIT: Well actually you could play around with props and engine height, etc. But you were suggesting major engine work.

Comment

Compression would be about 150 PSI on my gauge.----Yes it reads correctly.

Comment

What Rpms are you getting at WOT? Is the boat rid of unnecessary weight(wife, kids, mother-inlaw)? Is the engine trim and height correct for the speeds it should attain? Is the hull straight and free of Hooks?
            As for hopping that engine up? For 1980, OMC did get an addition 5 hp(would about 1 mph faster) out of that displacement, what they did to do so, I don't know, but it was more than just a carb rejet.

Comment

Originally posted by racerone View Post
              Compression would be about 150 PSI on my gauge.----Yes it reads correctly.
              This is what leads me to believe it would benefit from a hone and fresh rings. I have no idea how bad they are after over 40 years of use. I wouldn't be looking to bore it just freshen it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                Ain't going to happen. Even if you were to succeed in getting a couple miles per hour, you wouldn't be able to tell without a GPS or radar gun.

EDIT: Well actually you could play around with props and engine height, etc. But you were suggesting major engine work.
                Prop is another consideration that crossed my mind. I do not know the wot rpm because there isnt a tach currently.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbo View Post
                  What Rpms are you getting at WOT? Is the boat rid of unnecessary weight(wife, kids, mother-inlaw)? Is the engine trim and height correct for the speeds it should attain? Is the hull straight and free of Hooks?
                  As for hopping that engine up? For 1980, OMC did get an addition 5 hp(would about 1 mph faster) out of that displacement, what they did to do so, I don't know, but it was more than just a carb rejet.
                  RPM at WOT is unknown because there isn't a tach. Can i use a normal automotive tach hooked to the tach lead off the power pack? I know it would be 2 sparks per rotation instead of every 2 rotations being that its a 2 stroke. excess weight was mostly removed apart from fishing gear, anchor, water supply, fuel, and 2 large men. I do not know what you mean by hooks. the hull is a little curved at the bottom from sitting on the trailer.

Comment

New rings in worn grooves is not the answer either.----As I recall the 76 / 77 / 78 model 55 already had finger ports and was right up there in performance.----Or was it the 79 model that had the finger ports.

Comment

What about the early v4 omc engines? there is a 1965 60hp available for cheap near me and a couple other 1960s examples.

Comment

Originally posted by racerone View Post
                        New rings in worn grooves is not the answer either.----As I recall the 76 / 77 / 78 model 55 already had finger ports and was right up there in performance.----Where is your local market ?
                        local market is western pa, eastern ohio, northern West Virginia

Comment

That V-4 model 65 is a smooth runner.----But very thirsty.-------A 3 cylinder 70 is your best bet.-----1980 to 1985 models.

Comment

thirstiness is not ideal but smooth running would be a big upgrade. this big 2 cylinder shakes and rattles all the time no unless its at wot

Comment

Anyone know about a 1989 60hp Mariner outboard ? Found one with controls for $250.

Comment

Working...
                              X