1999 Evinrude 175 Ficht tough to start after stopping for 10+ minutes

bassin89

Seaman
I have a 1999 Ficht 175hp that cranks up and runs perfectly. I can run it as far as I want with no issues. The problem arises when I stop for 10 or more minutes to fish, when I try to start the engine afterward it acts as if it is flooded and doesn't want to start. If I turn the key in short bursts, it will usually start sometime around the 10th attempt. After running if I shut it off it will crank right back up, the issue only exists after running and then sitting for 10 or more minutes. Any ideas?

bassin89

Seaman
The primer bulb will seem a little soft, still does the same thing if I prime the bulb back up first though

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
When the last time you replaced impeller? ECU is water cooled and if running on hot side will heat soak and act up...also messes with the rectifier

bassin89

Seaman
It was replaced at the beginning of the year. The stream from the tell tale is very strong.

bassin89

Seaman
Will do when I get off work. If that were the issue though would the boat still be able to immediately crank back up after a long run like it does?

bassin89

Seaman
I don't see any water lines going into it. I read elsewhere that the ECU on a 1999 is air cooled

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Post your model # as if a 98 it most likely the ignition module. If so sell boat ASAP as these are NLA and hard to find. Last one I had I sold for $600 as list was over $1K

bassin89

Seaman
I looked up the part number on my emm and it does appear to be the water cooled one. The only two lines that I see appear to be fuel lines, one running into the emm from the vapor seperator and one running out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why would a fuel line run into the EMM / ECU and out of the EMM / ECU ???----Parts book shows a water hose coming out of the ECU

bassin89

Seaman
I'm an idiot, those are the water lines. The hoses had "fuel line" printed on them and I just assumed that that's what they were. My mistake.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
before you sell it for a bad EMM.... have you done any kind of electrical tests while it is acting up

just a wild shot…

check the power dist panel …. while trying to start it (Key on START) tap/wiggle the power dist panel to see if anything happens

read a hile back that those power dist. panels PDP had flaky sold joints (cold solder or cracks) on the +12v doing into the PDP

all it takes is a resolder is a resolder on the bad joint

p.s. . just read about the horror stories on ficht power panels

Attachments

• photo316827.png
    photo316827.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 1

bassin89

Seaman
I'll check that and the water lines going into the emm today and see what happens. What has me stumped is that after a long run if I shut it off, I can immediately start it back up with no issue.

bassin89

Seaman
It's only problematic once stopped for 10 minutes or more to fish and then trying to restart it. It will try to start and then blow a puff of smoke out as if it were flooded and then after 10 or so more tries it starts up and runs fine again.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

bassin89

Seaman
I think Faztbullet is going to be right about this one, I bet it is going to be a cooling issue with the Emm, for some reason I wasn't wrapping my head around the fact that the EMM would heatsoak and get hotter with the engine not running. What is the best way to go about cleaning any build-up in the EMM and VST?