Tilt/Trim stuck all the way up

QuickPuppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
1999 J115PLEEM
Raised the motor and now it is stuck all the way up. The manual release appears to be frozen in place. Hit it for three days with PB Blaster, tried a big screwdriver, and manual impact driver and an electric impact driver. Itā€™s starting to strip out the screw slot now.

HELP! šŸ˜£

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I had a problem with an engine (not the same as yours) tilt/trim a few years back. When I went to lower the motor, there was not even a sound from the tilt/trim motor. It was the electric salenoid that went bad to lower the motor. My motor had two of them, one to lower the motor and the second one to raise it. Just switch wires on them to see if that is the problem on yours. After switching the wires, push the up button and it will go down. I would do that first before going out to buy a salenoid. Mine were the same part number for up or down.

QuickPuppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forgot to mention that the motor does run in both directions but no movement.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Is the coupling between the T/T motor and the pump okay ??

QuickPuppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure what the coupling is that you are referring to. Everything appears to be intact. The motor runs in both directions but it doesnā€™t sound like any fluid is being pump at all. I suspect that it could be air locked. Iā€™m sure that if I was able to turn the manual release that it would drop and I could purge the system. I did top off the fluid in the tank but there was no change.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can not see this coupling without removing the tilt motor.

boatwhisperer

Recruit
have you checked to see if there is fluid in the unit. remove ffill plug and top off thim fluid until it runs out and reinstall fill plug its typical that when engine is tilted all the way up and wont come down you are low on fluid

QuickPuppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Still stuck... havenā€™t had time to check the coupling.
I really think the problem is that I canā€™t remove the manual release valve to get the air purged. Any ideas on how to get a stuck valve out without destroying it?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, you could take the PTT unit off the motor, pull the PTT motor and turn the pump with a drill or something.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step # 1 is to look for a stuck valve or something.-------A manual covering operation repair of this unit will save you a bunch of grief and $$-----Heat is not to be used.----See a dealer and get the correct manual.----It could be an easy fix.

Last edited:

Fed

Commander
Mine was stuck up & the oil level was OK until I lowered the front of the trailer to get the transom vertical then the oil level was low. Topped it up and everything worked again. (Yes, I did fix the leak)

Transom angle combined with the front lifted fairly high was enough to give a false level reading.
That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Has your manual release got a retaining circlip on it, could it be already open & jammed against the circlip?
That would be funny.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I doubt the motor would tilt up if the release valve was open.----And it would certainly drift down if valve was open.

Fed

Commander
Valid point Racerone, any thoughts on my experience with the transom angle and the trailer tilted up?
I wouldn't have thought it would be that critical but I can only relate what I had.

QuickPuppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Iā€™ll have to try various angles on the trailer to see if maybe that will move fluid enough to get it going.
Is the repair info for the Tilt/Trim system in some other manual? I have the factory service manual for the 1999 EE series and it is not mentioned in there that I can find.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some years there was a separate manual that covered accessories.----See a BRP shop.----They will know what you need.----I have a bunch of those " fastrack " trim units kicking around the shop on parts motors.----Those trim units are quite reliable.