Compression drop 1982 Evinrude 175

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
You have blown head gaskets or major ( big $ repairs ) in your future.------Possibly damaged cylinders / pistons.-------Good luck.

Well, I got the heads off. Surprisingly/suspiciously easy. Videos of heads and cylinder walls are below. Rust stains on head gaskets. No gouges or horizontal marks on walls. There was what felt like a hard rubber tube in the gaps above and below the center cylinder. I don’t know what those are or if they’re functioning.

My newbie guess is loose or warped heads.

It may have overheated when it was still in use by previous owner(s). One overheat sensor was disconnected when I got it. The other came apart—wire pulled loose— while I was trying to take it out to remove the head.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those rubber thingys are the " deflectors "------These guide water around the block for proper cooling.-----And water does NOT need to flow through those tubes.---They guide water around.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Those rubber thingys are the " deflectors "------These guide water around the block for proper cooling.-----And water does NOT need to flow through those tubes.---They guide water around.

Good to know!

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I wonder if I should pull the exhaust housing apart while I’m in there?

Just trying to figure out that boiling sound.

Last edited:

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Well that motors NOT a virgin as it been into. The piston in question has very little wear and someone even used gelseal on transfer gaskets. Next step is to pull heads and inspect cylinders as it might have been a hone and go repair.

I have the heads off. Would you have time to take a look at those videos and see if you see anything obvious in the cylinders or heads?

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Find out why you could not get good compression readings !!

I got the same results with two different gauges. And it got 60 and held on some, but went to 60 and dropped on others. I was using the same gauges the same way each time. I’ve run compression tests lots of times on multiple engines. They’re kinda hard to mess up. What could I be doing wrong?