Lower Unit Issue?

Phil1962

Recruit
Lower Unit Issue? Just purchased an older bass boat year 1982it has an Evinrude 35 hp ( E35ELCND ). The Motor runs really well, when I had it on the muffs checking things out I noticed it would not go into forward gear. I found that the fuel line had been shortened causing it to lay under the shift lever. Fixed that. Took it to the lake right of the bat would not go into forward adjusted the cable, no problem. forward and reverse gears lock in solid, no prop slippage. But when I start to accelerate at approximately 1500 - 2000 rpms (just a estimate no tach ) I hear a thump sounds and feels like you just bumped a stump or something. No grinding stays in gear at full throttle, just one thump. Could it still be a adjustment issue? Or clutch? It's really puzzling it only happens at the beginning of acceleration and no other time. Any input is appreciated.

Phil1962

Recruit
I did before first use, drained and replaced oil. Never saw any shavings or water. What I don't know is how recently it was changed before I purchased it.

Phil1962

Recruit
Thanks Oldboat1. That was in the back of my mind. I've seen posts of popping out of gear no reverse gear, but just a touch on a thumping noise.
Next obvious question; How difficult of a job is it to replace? Assuming the forward and reverse gears are in good shape.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Sorry. Can do the old clamshell units fairly easily, but would need to follow a service manual to do yours. Number of folks here can walk you through it, but look for an oem service manual in the meantime.