1961 Evinrude Starflite no spark.

EdsBoat

Seaman Apprentice
My Evinrude has new battery, points and condenser, rotor ,wires, coil. etc. When we crank it over we do not get any spark.
the boat and motor were restored 25 years ago and sat in a museum until I purchased it a few weeks ago. Any suggestions, things to check?
ED

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Try disconnecting the wire to the mag and see if you get spark.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Starflite (plug wires come out the bottom) or Starflite Unicharger (Plug wires come out the cap on top)?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do you get spark out of the coil ?----No spark from plug wires "-----What ignition switch is on this motor , and how are the terminals marked on the switch ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
(Automotive Ignition)
Have points set on high lobe so that a .020 gauge passes thru but a .022 does not.
Clean the points with either lacquer thinner or acetone.
Make sure that battery voltage is being applied to the ignition coil... or... via a resistance wire to a lesser voltage.

If all is well, as above, and no spark exists with "all" spark plugs removed... the usual problem is that the rotor is shorting out to the steel shaft upon which it sits.

On that model, the spark should jump a 1/4" air gap with a string blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP!

Let us know what you find.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Simplified preliminary spark check: Pull the wire out of coil, then rotate the whole wire to unscrew it from the distributor cap. Then plug it back into coil. Now hold screw end close to a ground and crank engine. You should get sparks off the wire end.

If you got sparks, everything up to and including the coil is working, and trouble is in distributor section.

If you got no sparks, trouble is points, voltage input, coil, etc.

It is a simple system, just like cars of the day.

EdsBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Ignition switch has three terminals on the back, ING, B, S.
No spark at coil.
Points have been cleaned and set at .020

EdsBoat

Seaman Apprentice
I'll answer as fast as I can. I'm taking care of my elderly parents and I can't spend a lot of time working on the motor.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Ignition switch has three terminals on the back, ING, B, S...... No spark at coil..... Points have been cleaned and set at .020

ING = Ignition <-- 12v present only when key is in "S" or normal running position. Ignition coil feed.

B === Battery <--- Direct fused line from battery... 12v present constantly.

S === Solenoid <--- 12v to starter solenoid when engaged.

Do you have 12v voltage at the "B" position of the ignition switch?

Do you have voltage (12v) at the "+" side of the coil when the key is in the "ON" or "START" position?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So, you said you replaced the coil. Did you use a car coil? Nothing wrong with that if you got the right kind. Some have a built-in resistance, some use an external resistance. Your Starflite has an external resistance (the red & white stripped wire) When checking the input voltage you should see a nominal 12V if both sets of points are open. If one or both sets of points are closed, the resistance wire drops the input voltage to somewhere around 6V.

EdsBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you , I'll work on this, it will take a couple days. but I will return shortly.

EdsBoat

Seaman Apprentice
This is what I have so far.
disconnected mag. No spark!
12v on ing when in "S" or normal running position.
"B" 12v present constantly!
"S" 12v to starter!
Have 12v to "B" position of ing switch.
Have 12v to "+" side of coil when key is in on or start position.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
In post reply #3, "F_R" asked where the spark plug wires originated from... TOP of distributor or the BOTTOM. You replied Starflite Unicharger which indicates "Automotive Ignition" whereas the plug wires would be coming out the top of the distributor.

Now you say you are not using a automotive coil and you use the terminology "MAG". If that engine is indeed equipped with a magneto and 12v is being thrown to the coil... that will destroy the coil! (Confusing).

If not an automotive coil... what? Describe it.

Now... Where are the plugs wires coming out of that distributor... the TOP of it or the BOTTOM?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
This is what I have so far.
disconnected mag. No spark!
12v on ing when in "S" or normal running position.
"B" 12v present constantly!
"S" 12v to starter!
Have 12v to "B" position of ing switch.
Have 12v to "+" side of coil when key is in on or start position.

Assuming automotive as I believe you have, you haven't answered the most important question. You said 12V at coil +. BUT is it dropping to around 6V when the points close? In other words it should be fluctuating between 6V and 12V on the +. There is another test determine the same thing. The coil (-) terminal should fluctuate between zero volts when points close and 12 volts when points open.

EdsBoat

Seaman Apprentice
The wires are coming out the top. I purchased the coil from the Evinrude dealer. it looks like an automotive type coil.
I assumed it had a mag. It has something under the fly wheel that is electrical. it has windings and wires coming out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That stuff under the flywheel is the Unicharger (fancy name for alternator).