SHOWA trim tilt question.

w2much

Lieutenant
I have been working with trim and tilt issues on a couple of motors lately.A 1994 60 Evinrude, 2001 225 Evinrude and my own 150 EXEOM a 1995 . The electric motor on these units is where I run into issue. Easy to purchase, run the wires properly , take out the four screws(bolts), replace the Oring then the motor . The OMC manual spells it right out, easy breezy right? Wrong. The four bolts is where it gets difficult. Especially since these are salt water motors. I dont usually attempt to remove them until soaked for a bit with blaster or other penetrant. The manual says not to apply heat which is usually my savior. They have a Loctite type stuff on the threads of the bolts. Any tips on removing these? . Is there anything which will break down the loctite ? I will do my damnest to avoid breaking the bolts as my track record on drilling out broken bolts is not encouraging .

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Hand held impact with proper bit and a good stout hammer blow. The shock helps break it free.

w2much

Lieutenant
i went ahead with my fingers crossed. Only 1 bolt broke. A freind of mine recently gave me a few drill bits to try.They came from his machine shop. Black and gold Jobber . These things were amazing. they cut through stainless as though it were aluminum. I have been using what I thought were good bits from famous brands from H... D.... and L...s. They dont come close to the ones given to me. Drilled out the broken stud, tapped the hole and I am good to go. I do have a hand held impact but did not think to use it as I have broken some tips off them in the past. I will give it a go next time. I did however heat the casing around the stud. Hope I did no harm. And those shavings, they will be fun to remove also. Thanks Jakedaawg, I appreciate your reply.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Good drill bits are worth it. No big box store sells an acceptable metal bit in my opinion. I know others disagree but my mind can not be changed. If your not paying $90 + for a drill index your not getting good twist drill bits.

w2much

Lieutenant
agreed. the money you spend and the time you will save make good bits at any price a bargain.