average Longevity

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted to get some advice. I have a 2000 Johnson brought it used and have put about 700 hrs of offshore run / trolling over 10 yrs. I have 100 psi across all cyl. she starts right up runs good but smokes like a fish smoker lately. I do hear a slight knock off and on in the lower end of one cyl.at time. it just started the knock last time I was out . could the lower bearings be past clearance and sucking fuel/oil past it? can you have ok compression and get some blow by into cylinder? I have always pre-mixed my gas/ oil 50:1 using premium oil in it. thanks for the input!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What be the model # of your motor ??----If lower bearings are bad they may " wipe out crankshaft sealing.-----Bearings have nothing to do with " sucking fuel / oil past " in my opinion.----When was the compression test done , a month ago or yesterday ?

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I agree with checking the compression again.

Don't understand how a 2-stroke can be smoking due to oil, maybe what you're seeing is steam?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How your plugs look?
I don’t smoke much at all unless I have a fuel delivery issue. My last “smoking” episode was a leaking float valve.

When was the last time you pulled the heads to inspect?

I had to replace my first motor when I could no longer keep water out of the cylinders due to corrosion issues. Three head gaskets in two seasons before I threw in the towel and replaced the block.

Last edited:

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
the compression test was done just before I took it out last week. I took it 3 times to make sure i was right. I check the compression over the years and been the same. no not steam its to blue ...I have seen motors steam before.
[h=1]2000 Johnson J175VXSSS 175hp . thank for the input[/h]

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Plugs have a little wetness to them with slight brownish tips

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Dingbat , I have never pulled the heads yet

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
is there a way to tell if the bearings are going bad ? or lower seals are gone ? thanks for the input

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can use a screwdriver through the plug hole to determine if there is too much bearing play.-----May require turning the prop in gear to rotate the crankshaft.----Upper crankshaft seal has a bit of history just because of it's diameter and therefore the speed of the metal contacting the rubber is higher than the lower seal.----Sealing rings on the crankshaft ( seperates the 6 crankcases ) is a different issue.----You could have a leaking carburetor that is causing flooding on one cylinder and hence the smoking.

Last edited: