1994 Evinrude 9.9 2 stroke outboard motor died on the lake

Slippyfostel

Recruit
The first day I had the motor on the water it ran all day while trolling from 9:30 am to 7 pm. No problems. The second day I stopped to net a fish, braided line got wrapped around the prop. I cleared it and restarted the motor. It ran for a half hour longer after clearing the prop. As I was trolling along it just died. No problems with it sputtering or any sign of distress by the engine. It just stopped. Tried several times to restart with no luck. I used my other engine to return to the dock. At home, I checked the plugs for spark and even bought new ones, but no spark. Called boat repair shops and they are all swamped. One told me it could be the power pack. Another told me power packs hardly ever go bad. It could be the stator. Replaced a power pack less than two years ago. Checked the fuse and replaced it. Checked the engine shutoff on my lanyard. The button was in as it should be. Tried to check the stator but could not get flywheel off and have no way to check it. Could it be something simpler? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure the button needs to be " in " whatever that means ?--------Perhaps disconnect the ground off the kill switch to see if you get spark.

w2much

Lieutenant
As Racerone says. If kill switch circuiit is good and you want to check the stator go to CDI electronics web page. Look up troubleshooting for your motor. Most test can be performed with an OHM meter.I think Racerones advice is on track. Why did you replace the fuse?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No need to remove the flywheel to do ohm testing on the stator and timer base !!

Slippyfostel

Recruit
I’m not a seasoned mechanic, but I pulled the kill switch off the button and didn’t get any spark. If that’s not what you mean, if I know where that is connected, I’ll give it a try. I may take it to my boat shop tomorrow to see if it is a quick fix. I’m just trying to do it myself if I can. Hopefully, if I can figure out where this kill switch ground is and where to check the ohms on the stator, I won’t have to take it to my boat repair guy.