Can not pull the pull starter cord with spark plugs in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbelleau

Recruit
I just bought a 1969 Johnson 25 horsepower. And I can not pull the pull starter cord with spark plugs in? However when I take the spark plugs out I can pull the cord. What is the problem and solution?
Thanks,
-Wes

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could be it has the easamatic recoil that is not timed properly. It uses an oblong pulley to reduce the required "pull" strength required on the compression stroke. Google it or search here to find more info on how to fix it. Remove the 3 bolts that attach the recoil and check it out, there are alignment marks for when the rope is recoiled.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
As "bwkre" mentions..... Adjust the length of starter cord until the manual starter pulley resembles what you see here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	71_18hp M-Starter.jpg Views:	3 Size:	26.2 KB ID:	10768042

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Maybe the spindle assembly is screwed up too tight to the housing.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
flyingscott So you we’re right about having the wrong plugs. The thread pattern on the plugs I had was right but, the spark plug bolt length was way too long. So, I found a site which tells you the correct type of spark plugs to use for Johnson and Evinrude motors.
http://www.*****************/parts/c...lug-guide.html

My motor is still not running yet, .I think I have a spark problem now!

Your link does not work because it is to a site to which iBoats do not allow links ..... A competitor !

This link however does work ( I hope) and shows the correct plugs to be J4C gapped at 0.030" Although I believe the list you refer to gives RJ8C or J8C. Much hotter plugs.
Originally J4J were the specified Champion plugs. Heat rating 6 might be considered if grade 4 tended to foul but I'd be cautious about using heat grade 8.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...gChart2008.pdf

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
1968 25hp Evinrude/Johnson spark plug = Recommended Champion J4C... Alternative J6C. Due to the engine's age, the J6C may be a better match. DO NOT go any higher in the heat range of the plug (6) or you'll be inviting a melted piston.

wbelleau

Recruit
I just purchased the J4C champion spark plugs. Thank you to all of you for your feedback! Now, I need to know how to get a spark out of this motor.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is the issue with the pull starter resolved?

To troubleshoot and resolve the spark issue, you need to remove the flywheel -- need a puller used for harmonic balancers or steering wheels, available at an auto parts store.

Check coils for cracking or deterioration. Replace points and condensers. Gap points as .020 after cleaning with acetone, lacquer thinner, or similar.

Post questions as you go.

wbelleau

Recruit
I have spark now. However I checked compression and they are 40psi on both cylinders. I was told to replace the head gasket then try again. What do y’all think?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have a bad compression tester or a junk motor.-----Try another gauge first.------Or pull the head off.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Did you keep pulling on the recoil until the gauge went No Higher?

JohnnyGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
jimmbo was asking, if when you were compression testing, were you pulling the starter until the compression gauge needle stopped moving?

Emontenegro

Recruit
I just bought a 1969 Johnson 25 horsepower. And I can not pull the pull starter cord with spark plugs in? However when I take the spark plugs out I can pull the cord. What is the problem and solution?
Thanks,
-Wes
I have the same problem with my 1982
35 evinrude!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.