1960 JW-16 SeaHorse 3hp or 2003 Mercury 2.5

New to forum so please be gentle .I have a small two man bass raider that I need to outfit with small outboard.
I have access to a 1960 JW-16 Johnson and 2003 Mercury 2.5.Which would be a better choice?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Can't say I know anything about the Mercury, but I sure do know a lot about the Johnson. They are a classic in every sense of the word. I guess it all boils down to condition and if you are up to doing any work on it yourself.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
update…

I am assuming you are handy with working on outboard and the two choice are basically sound. (compression wise)

I have purchased good JW's for 50$ CDN and all they needed was a carb clean up, impeller and points/coils
for $100-$150 you can get a smooth trolling motor

but some folks don't like oldies…. some are strickly Merc folks (I was) your call !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The newer MERCURY has electronic ignition and will likely require less tinkering.----Will burn less fuel than the old twin cylinder.----The JW may still outlast the newer motor simply because there is less plastic used on it.----And you have to take some pride in the fact that the JW can be repaired / maintained by yourself with simple tools.

lindy46

Captain
My little 1958 Lightwin will run all day on a tank of gas (about 3/4 gallon)! She purrs like a kitten and trolls like a dream. Easy to maintain. I've had many of these motors and they can't be beat for reliability.

thatone123

Banned
Some have called Karl Keikerhaufer or however you spell it a crazy genius or just crazy. The small Mercs are a pain to work on unless you do it as a profession and they changed things like the cowling attachments so many times you will literally be looking at the small Mercs cussing into the wind asking how the hell do you open this thing. I have been working on a few lately and finding old ones for parts. They run good if they are running, but if not running, watch out! Many folks including me just do not like working on them period. They are over German engineered that tried to make them professional race like bullet proof , but they failed. OMC's are a delight to work on and will stand up to abuse much better. They are simply the King of outboards. They will do anything a Yamaha will (Yamaha are copies of OMC) with LIGHTER weight.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Old Karl Kiekheafer has not had his hands on the MERCURY brand for about 50 years or more.

Thank you all, I am pretty good at tinkering with small engines, haven't had much experience with outboards.
I am going with the JW-16, if nothing else it just looks cool! I have read where some folks say you should run pre 1964
motors with 24:1 ratio mixture and some swear by 50:1. I am finding out very fast that everybody has there own
opinions on this matter.Does anyone run the premixed stuff you can by at some retailers?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
At 24:1 it might last another 60 years.----At 50:1 it might last another 19-1/2 years.------Lots of opinions on oil and mixing ratios.----I would run at 24:1 and I know what bearings are inside that motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That pre-mix stuff you buy in a little can is awfully expensive, isn't it? Likewise, the chainsaw oil that comes in a little 3 oz bottle. I'm too cheap.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
this Mercury 2.5 its actualy Tohatsu.Nissan motor.all parts are interchable
its very good design, all made in Japan.
its only 15 kg.
1 cylinder desing with needle cage bearing on the con rod

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe that very same design was sold with more than a few paint colours and decals !!

JW-16 must have been stored for some time, I am cleaning out the
lacquer like substance from
tank . I
am having trouble finding a new filter assembly #277187.Only one I found they want $49.99 for it!
I am wondering if I can clean it good enough by just soaking the one I have in mineral spirits overnight

lindy46

Captain
Those filters cannot be adequately cleaned. I saw a NOS one for half that price on an auction site.